Regarding Codechef's Cook-Offs

Yes ,I think that there should not be a penalty of 20 minutes.

2 Likes

Yes, it would be much better if it was on Saturday. Even the 20 minute penalty could be reduced.

I think days of Lunch time and Cook-off should be interchanged. The timing will make more sense then.

And the penalty would be perfect at 10 minutes!

We cannot take up the Saturday request. However, we are certainly considering reducing the penalty.

14 Likes

+1 for idea of shifting it to Saturday!

Well, it would be better if cook of is shifted to Saturday.

But i have different idea for time penalty. The idea is to reduce time penalty to 5 minutes with the adjustment that the user cannot submit another solution for same problem during this time. This idea is worth implementing if and only if it doesn’t cause much difficulty.

The best part of this would be that the flow of submission will be less, which would reduce the load on codechef servers, something that has been the trouble of last minute in codechef.

Another variation of this idea is to set a custom resubmit and/or penalty time for each problem which may be higher for easy/cakewalk problems like 10 min and less for medium/medium-hard problems or even 0 min for hardest problems.

This idea of differential resubmit time would strongly stress upon AC solution for atleast the easiest problems. Another benefit is that users are going to carefully analyse their solution before submitting.

2 Likes

yeah, i would +1 for the same, saturday cookoff would be better suited.

@admin @vijju123, If Codechef is having problems in shifting Cook-Offs to Saturday, it can atleast shift the timing before 9:30, coz making it up to 12 with schools/colleges the next day is a bit difficult.

1 Like

+1 for this idea.

saturday cookoff will be better…

Please forward, thank you!

You mean that it should be removed altogether or just reduced?

@vijju123 it should be reduced but not removed altogether.

Removing altogether can increase the number of wrong submissions.

2 Likes

Yes reducing penalty would decrease the number of wrong submissions

Can you at least consider changing the time from (9:30 to 12:00) to (9:00 to 11:30)?

1 Like

Oops clicked on the accepted tick by mistake, now I can’t accept it back again. Bug?

1 Like

Oo, another bug? :stuck_out_tongue:

Reported to bugs@codechef.com

I confirmed it, its a glitch issue. The answer is actually accepted, with karma credited to @admin 's account.

For easy problems, the idea of being unable to submit will heavily penalise that user, because many people say “I cant focus on next question until I get AC in previous one.”

On paper it seems flawless, but it will cause problems when implemented in practical