ICPC 2017 Results - But Why?

My team ‘Sharingan’ didn’t qualify for the second round …we had solved two questions and we were the rank 1 team from Vivekanand Education Society’s Institute of Technology…instead a team named ‘ApplesndOranges’ was selected which was second from our college and had solved only 1 question…plz provide proper justification or reevaluate the list

Lesson learnt.
Do not apply to Amritapuri next year :slight_smile:

6 Likes

We can whine all about the shit system…it is shit…
but so is the education system in India…and so is every damn system in India.
Yet we have been living through this.

One thing i have learnt is, whining about the system will only waste your time.

Just.Accept.It.

Nothing is going to change for a long time.Welcome to India.

Want to go to regionals??

Here are a few tips.

1. Do not apply for amritapuri.

or 2)Leave the country.

or 3)join a shit college.

or 4)Be the best in your college no matter how shit the contest is.

Plain and simple.

If someone from your college did it, it is because it was possible.Accept it.

PS:my team ranked Top 50 in online round, not selected for amritapuri. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

A just similar situation in our college also. @vrangr

Can someone tell total time mentioned in the result of amritapuri region is in which unit?

I have seen some People on other sites making similar complain about India that ICPC in order to promote CP is giving so many World finals Slots to India while better teams from stronger countries are missing out.

The Same philosophy is being followed for online rounds too.

PS:- I didnt give ICPC online round so I am not saying whether all of this is right or wrong.
Just that whatever complain you are making , same complain is made by some people in stronger countries.

hey man lesson learnt!!

Just noted this fact - Amritapuri’s waiting list has 40 teams under rank 100 ! Now that its past the confirmation time, so most likely all these teams won’t get selected.

Link : Amritapuri Waiting list

Note : The contents of the link may get changed over time, but I can’t post the screenshot because of the reputation requirement :frowning:

Hey, guys, I agree with you I understand that you guys did not deserve the things you must deserve, but the thing we must see also This programming etc must be to go to the roots of every institute across the country then only it will stimulate overall development.I give an example of myself, my seniors have some idea regarding the icpc ,but they have not participated since they have not learned things, but I started learning programming ,in the view of preparing for icpc likewise some people also have started to learn with me, in the same way the next level our juniors will also going to learn things ,better than us.If we keep on giving slots only as per ranking then there will be no chance given to others to think about participating in it since at anyways they will not select.Note:You may think that they must have their own interest in doing that,those people who scored most are from top class colleges across country,the level of content given will be different from other low grade colleges according to NACC ratings.so if we given the others also chance there it will bring some change in institute ultimately every thing goes in development mode.
Note:Don’t think I am commenting in view I am supporting myself,I am also not shortlisted for onsite round I also secured a good rank in online test.Sorry for those who got hurted with my words.

1 Like

On the flip side, it is also justified in a way. It’s obvious that one in better CP environment colleges would do well and hence tough competition. But a top performer from a college with low CP environment also has to be praised as despite his situation, he is performing in CP and didn’t lose faith against the typical notion “CP is only for tier 1-2 college students.” Else, it would be like all qualifiers would be from the same college. We are living in a democratic society whose moto is “Sabka saat, Sabka vikas.”

9 Likes

I very much understand the scheme of this, buddy. But it really is dubious, that almost 240 unique colleges are fielded out of 250! Oh come on, they are fielding only Brazil from the South American Region, and completely neglecting Argentina,Uruguay,Chile and everybody else to field Oceania and Tunisia!

@utkalsinha , while I agree to your points, let me clear one thing up. CP does not depend so much at college, but on your own personal practice. So yeah, you should understand why he feels that way when he sees a team doing cakewalk problem with 10+ penalties gets selected.

5 Likes

Okay, then consider this. A bunch of guys, who decide to apply for a contest for the sake of it, solve a single solitary problem that requires literally NO knowledge of CP or its concerned attributes, and still get the hotseat compared to someone who worked their asses off throughout the year.

6 Likes

“Well, 1 seat per college is a kind of reservation” Lol! Our society is moving towards reservation in everything goddamit! -_-

8 Likes

Yes, and hence I urge you not to be upset. Your talent is what will help you ultimately. In case you feel too depressed, get a coding partner. I bet winning laddus every long is <3 as well :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Great analogy that, and just to make myself clear, I do agree with you, teams solving just one question and making it to the on-site round is preposterous.

1 Like

@akshayvenkat97 Don’t worry there are many competitions like hackercup, codejam round the corner. You can showcase ur talent there.

1 Like

I can totally understand your situation. I’m not against your pov. I was just saying that a high contrast policy might also be equally dubious. You can understand my side if you understand the true reason behind Indian reservation system. There are pros and cons on moving with the mass. Personally, I would consider a nation is good at competitive programmer only if the majority of its coders are >= average rather than a couple of people doing extremely good.

2 Likes

@vijju123 even if the top performer solves only a cakewalk problem, he is the only one who has solved it fast enough from his college. So, he is compared to his/her college peers. For them, he is a hero. What you are saying is typically just like the way 7 stars rated coder thinks about 5 stars rated coders as the ones who have just started considering CP seriously. My views are for the ICPC setting, however, my best wishes to @akshayvenkat97 for other top contests like the upcoming CodeJam 2018.

5 Likes

apply the same logic to World Finals, (countries sending people who solve 1 odd problem end up wasting slots at WFs) and India will be awarded less or no slots at all then!

2 Likes