Need help debugging this Code

So I just wanted to try my hands on python . So I started learning it and the most obvious is to try out the simplest programs in it , so that I could get a go on the syntax . Well I got stuck on the first one only . The error is Runtime Error. Tried various version of the code for some time now but nothing is working . So here is the code

Ideone link : 3GfMjy - Online Python3 Interpreter & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com

Link : CLEANUP Problem - CodeChef

“0 ≤ m ≤ n ≤ 1000…The second line contains a list of m distinct integers between 1 and n.”
If M == 0, int(jobs_done[x])) will trow an error since x will be ‘’.
You can avoid this by using ‘jobs_done=input().split()’ instead of ‘jobs_done=input().split(’ ‘)’.

You btw do not need semicolons in python to indicate the end of statement.

2 Likes

I was trying to find the error for soooo loooong (last 30 mins!!)… Everything seemed fine, still it didn’t pass. I was getting irritated. BTW, nice observation. +1

Glad it worked. documentation on split(): Built-in Types — Python 3.11.3 documentation “If sep is not specified or is None, a different splitting algorithm is applied: runs of consecutive whitespace are regarded as a single separator, and the result will contain no empty strings at the start or end if the string has leading or trailing whitespace. Consequently, splitting an empty string or a string consisting of just whitespace with a None separator returns []”

1 Like