Promoting low ranked team because of plagiarism of top ranked teams

There are three teams from my college participating in Gwalior region A,B and C. A and B copied each other’s code and will most likely get detected by the plagiarism detector. So,will Team C get selected or not as the first ranked team of our college?

1 Like

If they get detected, they will be rejected before selection of teams.
Hence Logically, You should be first from college…
So, I think you would be selected.
But unfortunately, not always plagiarism is detected correctly.

2 Likes

If A and B copied each other’s code then they must have edited it properly so that they can not be caught by

moss.Did they wrote in same language or different language?

Moss can detect different languages too

2 Likes

I don’t understand why both copied from each other.
Like, Team A is at rank 1 and B at rank 2,
Now if they plagiarize from each other, both overall rank would be better but B would still be not selected.
So, B has no profit here. Why B choose to get involved in plagiarism ?

no, I don’t think so. It can’t compare codes written in 2 different languages.

B don’t have any profit but still they was thinking that after selecting all institute topper they may get chance. This was stupidity but still they did it. That’s why asking.

1 Like

Please read here https://www.quora.com/How-can-MOSS-detect-plagiarism-in-code-written-in-two-different-programming-languages
Also there were few instances, where plagiarism was detected for different languages ( don’t know what was the procedure. )
Also, In case of ACMIND18, there will be manual checking beside MOSS

2 Likes

Ok I agree, but how will they do the manual checking of 2500 solutions, it’s impossible I think.

Yeah, It’s impossible to check it properly.
That’s why few teams would remain undetected.

1 Like

out of 2500 they have to check every pair means it will be 2500C2,2499*1250=3123750. I think they check mannually only for whose plagarism is detected by MoSS.

1 Like

I think You are right.
But if it is practically feasible, they should try to check submissions within same college. As they have very higher chances of cheating…

1 Like

but if detected by moss then why to check manually

They can’t keep 100% trust on MoSS results

1 Like

And if someone is falsely accused by moss. If two teams are having the same long code of 200 lines but they have not cheated then.

Team Coach can mail them about this for re assessment but participants can’t mail them

1 Like

I think that codechef will not believe if the coach says that this team has not cheated