ACM ICPC 2018 Amritapuri unfair results

The capping in last year onsite regional selection was 20. It is evident from https://icpc.baylor.edu/regionals/finder/AMP-2017/standings .

But the same cap for this year’s contest has turned out to give favor to top tier institutions. The cap size should have been updated given this year’s unusual online round. Even if they’d would have selected those teams solving 2 question this year that’d have been reasonable but they have even selected students solving 1 question only from IITs and IIITs. If you are selecting those teams from a college who are capable to solve more than 1 question and that number is quite large then why would want to select those who were able to solve only 1 question from that same place. This clearly violates what is written on their website “Selection of teams is according to the rank and those who have solved most number of problems are given priority. There will be a cap on maximum number of teams selected from one single institution.”

This has led to a very biased selection and there are some not so popular colleges which if given a little push and encouragement could probably excel. But no, everyone wants to go only for top tier institutions. This is very heart breaking.

Also, the email id button on their website is not working. There is no post on their facebook page(which btw is not accepting messages) regarding this year’s online or onsite regionals. Their twitter page has last post of 2008. So there is no way to communicate them. And now seeing here -ve upvotes on questions like this, which are needed to be addressed is even more heartbreaking :frowning:

1 Like

The site says the total number of slots is 250,but how come 279 teams are selected?

You didn’t got selected because of this rule because you don’t deserve.
Or more specifically, someone else deserved more.
IIT BOMBAY -16 TEAMS IIT ROORKEE -15+ TEAMS ? IS THIS FAIR?
Yes. It’s not their fault that they got admitted in IITs.
It’s your fault that you haven’t worked hard ( or smart ).

P.S : Even I didn’t got selected. And that’s fair.

5 Likes

"Select the top ranked team from each distinct school or institute.

Arrange all these top ranked teams with respect to their performance in the Preliminary Round.
Select teams from the top as long as the Onsite Contest slots are available and the list is not exhausted.

In case it is found that the number of selected teams in this process is less than the available slots, remove selected teams from
the Rank List and repeat"

what’s your excuse for this?

What about Kolkata region ? They have the different criteria or same as of amrita ? Cap = 25?..

My question for people who are saying we don’t deserve to be in regionals- If you can’t even top in your own college how come you are being deserved?

No offence

Teams registering for Amritapuri based on previous years selection criteria be like:

Ganga bol kar sala nali me kuda diya

P.S: I appreciate the merit based selection criteria but it should have been conveyed before registration, so that teams chose regionals accordingly.

3 Likes

alt text

3 Likes

Why dont they mention directly that teams from tier-1 and tier -2 colleges will only be selected? This will be fair enough right?

To maximize participation from maximum institutions - here is your answer!

So they just selected top 437 teams and said that maximum number of teams from institution is capping?
They are only selecting the top teams, capping should be predefined like they will select only top 5 or top 10 teams from each institution .

What do you mean by selection is fair? I didnt know that selection on basis of merit is unfair :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Selection is on basis of rank only.”

What more do you want?

But no, everyone wants to go only for top tier institutions. This is very heart breaking.

Selection was not done by looking at college. All selected teams worked hard. Let me reword your issue to a more honest representation-

“But no, everyone wants top coders who worked hard the entire year and no one wants us who solved 1 cakewalk problem. This is heart breaking.”

With due respect, you got 3 regionals selecting top from each college, leave Amritapuri out of it please. If you arent even selected in those, then I see no reason for you to crib about. Merit based selection is never unfair.

3 Likes

Just making this clear, what you call “some not so popular colleges which if given a little push and encouragement could probably excel” would have been at cost of some eligible team in top 400 which, according to ranklist, deserved more than you to be there. Look at both sides of argument, and last, if you are calling merit based selection unfair then think what you are going to do in future phases of life where people only want merit and talent.

1 Like

All the best :slight_smile:

If you have already selected teams solving two 2 questions and that too in good quantity from an institution then selecting those who have solved 1 question only from the same place, is quite contradicting to “Selection of teams is according to the rank and those who have solved most number of problems are given priority.” I know they have solved that 1st question quickly and that’s why their rank is higher but from their college itself many teams have already solved more than 1 that means they aren’t the best crowd from their college so why not give chance to different institutions instead?

It is a good thing that good teams have qualified. Don’t crib regarding this matter. Better work hard so that next time, you can do well.

1 Like

I get your point, but again you can in now way claim it breaks their rule of “Selection is according to rank.”. Cap set is 25 and hence is followed as well. We cannot demerit selection by talent/rank/merit in anyway.

1 Like

Accept the fact that 16 teams from IITB, 16 from IITM, 13 from IITR - All performed better than you.
College should not matter at all. It’s performance that should matter.
Do you like someone getting selected but you are not selected although you performed better than them ?

1 Like