You are not logged in. Please login at www.codechef.com to post your questions!

Why does down-voting reduce your own Karma points?

I noticed when reviewing my Karma History that everytime I down-voted any content on the forum, my Karma Point was reduced by 1.

I sincerely could not understand the reason behind this. Why get a reduction for improving the community?

I personally feel that this feature should be removed, unless there is genuinely a good reason that I fail to understand.

Thanks!

asked 29 Jan, 18:54

arnavvarshney's gravatar image

3★arnavvarshney
accept rate: 9%

edited 29 Jan, 20:10

So that you don't downvote without thinking. It's easy to criticise others, mock them, but appreciating their work is a bit tougher. That's why upvoting has no penalty.

You downvote something when you feel it's bad for the community, but it reduces your karma as a reminder that it's your responsibility not to downvote stuff due to personal reasons, but only if it really deserves to be downvoted. You only unlock this super power after gaining a particular number of karma. It's a reminder to use your super power responsibly.

link

answered 29 Jan, 23:35

akashbhalotia's gravatar image

5★akashbhalotia
accept rate: 10%

edited 29 Jan, 23:40

@akashbhalotia I really like your superpower explanation, but what I was trying to say is that when you downvote questions that are spam, promotional etc. why do you have to suffer? As in check this question out: https://discuss.codechef.com/questions/144453/can-someone-help-me-figure-out-how-to-use-this-and-what-language-this-is-please

(30 Jan, 13:25) arnavvarshney3★

You can simply use report option for those. :)

(30 Jan, 13:36) vijju123 ♦♦5★
toggle preview
Preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported
  • mathemetical formulas in Latex between $ symbol

Question tags:

×232
×23

question asked: 29 Jan, 18:54

question was seen: 161 times

last updated: 30 Jan, 13:36