February Long challenge div2 is like math exam :/

Well most of the questions were just math.Please try to add one question on DP also.

2 Likes

Totally agree… Not Saying That these type of questions should be removed completely but instead of most of the questions being based on math, it should have some algo or some other type of problems. Like i personally really liked the Art of Balance Question that was asked this time. Took me alot of time to solve that.

Hey @goutam88 , mathematics is undeniably a part of coding. Algorithms, think about Divide and Conquer and there comes master’s theorem. Even for dp problems you have to build recursive solution first, bit manipulation is also about maths. I found this long challenge quite decent, maybe it was not suitable for some. And yes it contained DP, Tree and Graph theory problems too. So the moral of the story is that one should try and learn maths when scoring AC is this much easy and yes, codechef problem setters can also be a bit more variant…

There awaits next LONG challenge

1 Like

Good brush up on middle school maths

Yeah agree, but all the other contests have those type of questions, this contest was a good refresher of the maths we had learnt in school ! And it took me time to think so I think it was something that needed to be revisited.

Manhattan Rectangle was a good question.

1 Like

Now-a-days Div2 has become more of thinking based while Div1 has some good algorithmic and implementation questions. So in Div2 only thinking and some maths is required to solve all the problems. Same happened in previous contest also.

1 Like

First four problems of DIV II were cakewalk.

Common CodeChef, your were far better in 2018.

Please add some algorithm question,algorithm question will surely helpful for the campus placement perspective.Totally agree but can’t upvote because i don’t have enough reputation points.

1 Like

Previously there use to be Long challenges where we have to put too much of our time to solve those questions for example JULY18B and JUNE18B and there was alot to learn from those challenges but now we can easily solve 4 to 5 on day1 itself Please make challenges such that there is alot of learning .
we couldn’t solve 4 to 5 questions on day1 in challenges like JULY18B and JUNE18B but now many can solve 4 to 5 questions in one day itself so Please make contest like that of JULY18B .

Thank you.

yes! of course
I think these questions are going to improve your Aptitude/mental ability but not much for your programming means i am not saying that math based question should not be given but there should be balance among data structure, Algorithms , Dynamic Programming and some thing like that.

There are some question which are totally math base means if you know the concept of Array and loop you can easily solve these questions so what about programming is this the right place for these question or not.
thanks to all.

unable to vote because of reputation.

1 Like

I agree that some problems could have been algorithmic, like DPs and Segment Trees, or some graph theory. I really enjoyed solving ‘Art of Balance’ and ‘Guess it Right’. It’s rightly said that before the division, there was a lot more to learn from Long.

I believe 4 cakewalk problems were too many, and if users really want to improve, they should solve something they haven’t solved beore.
Overall, it was good contest in my opinion, but easy.

2 Likes

Don’t you people think Programming is an art of mathematics, sometimes pure math related problems are also important. Honestly speaking, for those like me solving even 4 questions in long challenge was really a challenge. But this time after solving 6 questions i really got good confidence for future problems also. Now i’ll look forward to solve most of them.

2 Likes

can anyone explain how to solve last two problems of this contest.
ARTBALAN

1 Like

Don’t like math exams((Math exams are complicated usually!

1 Like

yup !!!
it’s my first participation in long challenges on codechef
FEB19 increased my confidence (DIV2)
Most of the problems are linked with math

Agree…

1 Like

+1 … …

Yes ofcourse we enjoyed a lot but my question is just put some questions related to algorithms where previous long challenges had atleast 3 algo based questions for division 2 so that people learn new concepts.i don’t think these contest have such problems it just remind us geometry and probability not new algorithms and programming is all about math but we need to take care of computer fundamentals like data structures and algorithms also those are very important too

I observe one thing that every long challenge belongs to some common concept, this time it’s math turn maybe.

lol… next two were DP only(practice question for div2)… you should have tried them… I was stuck there since first day of long challenge…