cheating in long challenge

Hi ,
I have been on codechef since a long time .
Recently I started working day and night to get better at competative programming and neglected my social life compleately to achieve a lot (as you can see my dec and feb challenge scores )
Today , I received an email stating that some user’s code somehow matched with mine one in one of the problem in jan challenge in one question that contained 1.1k + accepted solutions . and thus my rating will be decreased by 275 points .

watching closely to the user’s submissions clearly shows :
he submitted the code after me ,and thus wasn’t the owner of the code
he submitted a lot of codes of diffrent logics even in diffrent languages , clearly proving what he was trying to do .

I really don’t know how he got similar code ( as I use codeblocks only ) still these prove I never cheated .
I request codechef comitee to once think on this and not to penaltise me as it takes really lots of hard work and sacrifise to attain the rating that I have achieved and punished for something that one didn’t do would really be heartbreaking moment for any programmer.

solution 1

solution 2

his/her other solutions

1 Like

Looking at both the submissions, I can see that both the solutions are exactly the same. So, nothing can be done as the codes have clearly been copied.

Time to give some tough love.

watching closely to the user's submissions clearly shows : he submitted the code after me ,and thus wasn't the owner of the code he submitted a lot of codes of diffrent logics even in diffrent languages , clearly proving what he was trying to do .

We cannot allow either to go unpunished. Else anybody will cry and start claiming that “I am the owner of the code.” There are corner cases. Submission time is a flawed measure. For any reason, after running the code on ideone you may submit it later (had to do testing, internet or power disruption). And we - in fact NONE of the websites where plagiarism detection occurs - are not interested in taking the responsibility to find who is real cheater, that too via non-trustworthy means. Hence, the simple and fair solution is penalize both. The person who got his code leaked must be especially punished - else in future people will purposefully share code thinking they will be exempted.

it takes really lots of hard work

I am empathetic but this hard work has to go to waste. Only the work following Code of Conduct can remain, rest all must go to waste.

in one question that contained 1.1k + accepted solutions 

We give considerable leniency to similarity. But as the community might have pointed out, “exact match” and “similar” should not be used interchangeably.

1 Like

hmm NOW write a programme to find out the real owner .

1 Like

@kiamottullah are you trying to make fun of my situation ?

This kind of problem isn’t uncommon here. Many claim that they use some offline compiler but still code got leaked. In your case, how did he get the code within 1 minutes of your submission… Maybe there are some bug that can reveal the code during contest in some way ??? I really don’t want you to be punished but unfortunately as codes are completely similar, odds are totally against you.

2 Likes

Here are two codes somewhat similar to your’s XO8wGc - Online C++0x Compiler & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com dIJ0ch - Online C++0x Compiler & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com

1 Like

Well, As you have mentioned rating will be decreased by 275 points unlike 500 points earlier, It will be easy to increase your rating. As your rating would be low, It will increase unless you perform too bad. I believe it will be back to normal within 2-3 contest.

2 Likes