problem with testing solution

hi all ,

This is my first time here . I have surfaced out a problem I am facing and wanted to ask you guys for a better solution.

Problem:
After implementing the module of algo , I test the module from main by giving values to it not from file or stdinput but by declaring variables and giving it values. For ex

#define N 10
int sum(int *values){
}

int main(){
int values[N] = {..};
sum(values);
}

In the above program the problem generally states to take
N value from stdin and
array values from stdin.

I believe it is not efficient to test the program each time by giving required values from stdin…

The problem I am facing with my method is I that have to write the content of main method two times one for testing and one while submission. Some times after writing the submission main method If i get any errors then it is a pain to comment out this part and switch back to testing code. Again while switching I have to change lot of variable values to perform testing.

I will be pleased if my problem is solved .
I appreciate Codechef for the new improved forum :slight_smile:

You don’t need to struggle so much. Just write a single program reading from stdin.

Follow the simple instructions given at http://www.codechef.com/wiki/faq#How_should_I_test_my_program

1 Like

well the easiest way for checking would be to have a file say “input.txt” with the test cases in it,
then you could use
freopen() to redirect input to stdin from the file, like this for example:

freopen(“input.txt”,“r”,stdin);

1 Like

Also you can read from stdin and redirect input to your program (I prefer this way). When your code is compiled (and a.exe is executable) just invoke from command line:

> a.exe < input.txt

I prefer this way because when there is no filename hardcoded in your code so you can use new file if needed.

It works same way on linux

$ ./a < input.txt

If you need to store output (for example in Google Code Jam output is submitted), you add redirection to file

> a.exe < input.txt > output.txt
1 Like

Good answer,
Thanks a lot!

worked like a charm . Thanks :slight_smile: