Suggest me a book for algorithm

Hey, can anyone suggest me a good book for algorithms at beginner level ?? I have CLRS but its very difficult to understand . :frowning:

2 Likes

i think introduction to algorithm - a creative approach better than clrs for you :wink:

I would suggest you start with a simple book by an indian author like Let us C (or Java) as the explanation level will be relatively easier for beginners. Dont just read algorithms but also practice coding them.
Best is to start coding easy problems and learn algorithms as and when you require them. Also refer to lectures by prof. Naveen garg ,IIT delhi from NPTEL and frequently use geeksforgeeks.org , stackoverflow.com to clear your doubts. you can eventually move on to CLRS and other advanced books.

1 Like

No single book can cover all aspects of algorithm, especially programming contest.
To be competitive, you have to read not just one but a dozen of books + practice them.
Here is my short-list:

1. Competitive Programming by Steven Halim & Felix Halim
  2. Algorithms 4th by Robert Sedgewick & Kevin Wayne
  3. Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest and Clifford Stein
  4. Algorithm Design by Jon Kleinberg and Éva Tardos
  5. The Algorithm Design Manual by Steven S Skiena
  6. Algorithms by Sanjoy Dasgupta, Christos Papadimitriou and Umesh Vazirani
  7. Algorithms Unlocked by Thomas H. Cormen
  8. An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms (2nd Edition) by Robert Sedgewick and Philippe Flajolet
  9. Algorithms on Strings, Trees and Sequences: Computer Science and Computational Biology by Dan Gusfield
  10. Flexible Pattern Matching in Strings: Practical On-Line Search Algorithms for Texts and Biological Sequences by Gonzalo Navarro and Mathieu Raffinot
  11. Jewels of Stringology by Wojciech Rytter and Maxime Crochemore
  12. Advanced Data Structures by Peter Brass
  13. Algorithmic Puzzles by Anany Levitin and Maria Levitin
  14. Elements of Programming Interviews: 300 Questions and Solutions by Adnan Aziz, Amit Prakash and Tsung-Hsien Lee
  15. Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions by Gayle Laakmann McDowell
  16. Hacker’s Delight (2nd Edition) by Henry S. Warren
  17. Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications by Mark de Berg, Otfried Cheong, Marc van Kreveld and Mark Overmars
  18. Computational Geometry in C by Joseph O’Rourke
  19. Combinatorics and Graph Theory by John Harris, Jeffry L. Hirst and Michael Mossinghoff
  20. Elementary Number Theory and Its Applications by Kenneth H. Rosen
  21. On Numbers and Games
7 Likes

Thank you everyone… :slight_smile: