Why doesn't Codechef publish questions in hindi also

Seeing the huge number of participants from India , shouldn’t codechef publsh question in hindi also .Why mandarin & russian but not hindi ?

8 Likes

Because it will be more funny. A vast population of India speaks English (at least all programmers know English).

Let’s take an example:

CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone in Hindi

Chhota halwayi ko abhi abhi sankhayaon ki duniya ke baare me pata chala hai! Jod aur guna karne ke prayog karne ke dauran usne nimnalikhit samasya ka saamna kiya:

Ek sarani A di gayi hai jisme anakaratmak purnank hain, to aise kitne jode ban sakte jisme ki A[i]*A[j] > A[i]+A[j] satya ho jaha pe i < j hai.

Ab, nausikhiya hone ke wajah se chhota halwayi is samasya ka samadhaan kushaltaapurvak nahi nikaal pa raha hai, aur wo aapse sahayta chahta hai…

English:

Little chef has just been introduced to the world of numbers! While experimenting with addition and multiplication operations, the little chef came up with the following problem:

Given an array A of non-negative integers, how many pairs of indices i and j exist such that A[i]*A[j] > A[i]+A[j] where i < j .
Now being a learner, little chef isn’t able to solve this problem efficiently and hence turns to you for help.

48 Likes

@kapilsingh93 As bugkiller said most people who code in India follow english (either from school or from college atleast). Also most of the literature on coding , books,tutorials, past questions ,etc, available in India is also available only in English. It would be a waste of time and effort to try to give Hindi questions as the target audience is already more comfortable in English.

On the other hand , a large number of people in Russia and China grow up learning in their language.There is also vast material available in these languages and there are many programming sites like Codechef in Chinese and Russian. I think it is a lot more comfortable for them in their native language. It will help Codechef also attract other people who are not good in English to the site which is not so in the case of hindi.

9 Likes

Completely agreed with bugkiller and kcahdog. Adding hindi translation won’t add much value to the contest except adding more complexities and more problems like “Are constraints correct in Hindi or in English”. Codechef can take a step that is for the betterment of big group. (In future there may be more demands to translate problems in regional languages also).

But yeah, if our chef plans to translate problems to Japanese, I can give a hand :slight_smile:

I have below listed reasons.

1. In China / Russia they have a lot of books in their national languages.
  2. In their colleges they follow local language , but in India, we have English language as default language in Teaching in college.
  3. And Hindi language is only Good for speaking / writing on paper. I think no computer science engineer across the country knows how to type in Hindi. (May be some are exception by they are not Programmers they are just computer operator)
  4. In Hindi some translations are really ridiculous as @bugkiller mentioned < Following = nimnalikhit , Problem = Samasya> .
  5. Even Programming = कार्यक्रम निर्माण / प्रोग्रामिंग , Programmer = क्रमादेशक / प्रोग्रामर.

If still you are thinking to have Hindi, Can send an email to codechef also. :slight_smile:

Happy Coding !!!

1 Like

don’t u think question in mandarin and russian also must be funny execpt the fact that we don’t understand them … the main question here is the promotion of a language over another

2 Likes

@kapilsingh93 >> Я не могу прокомментировать это, потому что я не знаю русский язык. Вы должны задать по-русски на то пошло.

1 Like

@bugkiller Вы будучи индийский должны по крайней мере продвижения вашего родного языка

dude , aapki hindi to kaafi प्रभावशाली hai !!

3 Likes

a funny one! :slight_smile:

super like

This is less funny and more understandable I guess !!

छोटे हलवाई ने आजकल में संख्याओं के बारे में सीखा है । जोड़ और गुणा भाग करते समय उन्हे एक नया विचार आया, जो निम्न प्रकार से है -

आपको एक सारणी अ दी गयी है, जिसमें गैर-नकारात्मक पूर्णाक दिए गए हैं , पता लगाईये कि इस सारणी में कितने युग्म i, j इस प्रकार से हैं कि
अ[i] * अ[j ] > अ[i] + अ[j ] ।

चूँकि छूटे हलवाई संख्याओं के ज्ञान में पारंगत नहीं है, तो वो इस सवाल को हल नहीं कर पा रहे हैं, कृपया आप उनकी मदद करिये ।

7 Likes

@dpraveen >> Why so serious! :wink:

1 Like

I am also not in favour of Hindi problem statements, but how are nimnalikhit and samasyaridiculus”?