LEBALONS doubt

Hello

Maybe it’s too obvious or something everyone would have learned but I have been reading the LEBALONS problem over and over again but I am unable to comprehend this: What does expected cost of gift mean?

I don’t intend to flout rules. I am not asking for test cases, hints etc. It’s just the definition of the term ‘expected cost’ I am asking. I asked on the problem page but there’s no answer yet. It would be great if a link to the definition is provided either here or in the problem page.

4 Likes

you are probably right, “expected cost” isn’t so clear, but you should think what it can refer too.
I wonder why they haven’t provided any explanation to the test cases.They usually do.I dont know if i should help you…but … maybe the question means that elephant is trying to find the average of the all possible gifts he can give to hippo. i dont know i haven’t solved the question. i am just guessing. i myself am confused.

1 Like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value

2 Likes

is there any case when two or more same color ballon have different cost or for any given test case the value of Ci will be same ?

It is possible, that C_i == C_j same rule applies as always - do not assume something not written in problem statement (confirmed by CodeChef admins).

1 Like

Captain Obvious… He could have searched on wiki without you giving link.