Book for Java

I want to learn java , please suggest any good book or tutorials . Thank you in advance .

2 Likes

If u’re new… u might find ‘introduction to java programming’ by y daniel liang extremely useful for core java. Otherwise u have plenty of good books which may be very good but also very time consuming like deitel and deitel, black book, complete reference herbert schildt

1 Like

Thinking in Java-Bruce Eckel

1 Like

either THINKING IN JAVA Bruce Eckel
or
CORE JAVA: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH Kogent Solutions Inc. R. Nageswara Rao

1 Like

If you are a beginner, I think you should start with “Java by Sumita Arora” and Online Java Tutorial at

But later you can follow “Thinking in Java by BruceEckel”. This is very interactive and Advanced concepts are explained in detail :).

2 Likes

For a beginner, '‘Head First Java’ by Bert Bates and Kathy Sierra is the best book. It is easy to read and very helpful for the basics. One completing it, you can start with ‘Thinking in Java’ by Bruce Eckel.

1 Like

@amrit88 I THINK COMPLETE REFERENCE HERBERT SCHILDT is a good book

2 Likes

Book by Khalid Mughal is one of the best if you want to learn Java deeply.

It is extremely useful if u wish to appear for SCJP

1 Like

Java The complete refrence by Herbert Schildt book is very good and clarify each concept in easy language.
JavaTpoint is also a good site.
http://www.javatpoint.com/java-tutorial

khalid mughal or head first java anyone

Java The complete refrence by Herbert Schildt is very very very … better

I know Java pretty well, so I might be able to help u.
First read Herbert Schildt’s Beginner’s Java . It will help you get the basics clear. Then, if you want to learn Java more extensively, read OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide by Bates and Sierra , even if you are not preparing for OCP. If you read the book once , you will know a lot more than Schildt’s book has to offer. These were the two books I read when I was in class 8, the former for introduction and the latter while preparing for OCP myself.Another thing that really taught me a lot was making a game, which I would also advise you to do. If you do not actualy write code, you won’t learn the language, and if you want to learn OOP also, there is hardly anything more engaging than making a game. You will certainly not learn much about Java itself via only competitive programming, except for the Collections framework. Try to make game, a small one at first, like tetris or brick breaker, which you should ideally be able to make in a weekend. Don’t try to polish it.Don’t be disheartened if there are some bugs. They will go away once you get enough experience.However, you will learn a lot about Java and OOP too via this game development process, more than you can ever imagine. It can be intimidating at first, so you can always follow some online tutorial.A good one is Realtutsgml in youtube. But don’t just blindly copy everything.

This will make you quite well versed in Java and OOP except for applets, swing, servlets.

In my opinion you shouldn’t go for a book, books are lot more theoretical and reader get fed up of it too early(without getting the real feel). See this thread, I have provided best source for learning java I have ever found. In this tutorial every concept is explained in very detail and in easy to understand manner with examples so it will make it easy for you to play around with things and you would love java by then.

Good luck!!

You can refer Core JAVA by Cormen & Horstmann.It will not waste your time on basic stuffs.

Thanks @amrit88

Thanks @ashwini007k

Thanks @utkarsh13

1 Like

Thanks @sainath_b

Thanks @anujtewari

Aren`t there any video tutorial or online courses .