Kosaraju-Sharir algorithm for finding strongly connected components in a graph

It would would be great if someone could share the intuition behind Kosaraju-Sharir’s algorithm for finding strongly connected components in a directed graph.

Brother, a directed graph is called strongly connected if there is a path from each vertex in the graph to every other vertex. The strongly connected components of a directed graph G are its maximal strongly connected subgraphs.

Kosaraju-Sharir algorithm requires two passes of DFS to find the SCC (strongly connected components) i.e., it finds the SCC in O(V + E).

These are the steps of the algorithm:

Compute the reverse graph GR, such that there is an edge from u to v in GR if and only if there is an edge from v to u in the original graph G.
Run DFS over GR and compute the order in which vertices finish expansion.
Run DFS over G in the reverse of the order computed in step 2. All vertices that are discovered during the expansion of a vertex v belong in the same SCC as v.

For Java implementation refer : nTZ0nV - Online IDE & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com
For C++ implementation refer : oPnraZ - Online IDE & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com

4 Likes

so ja bhai :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I already knew the algorithm, I just wanted to know about the intuition behind the working of scc algorithm(why it works). However I have realized it now, It is based on the idea that both transpose directed graph (G’) and graph © have same strongly connected components.

Anyways thanks :slight_smile: