Maths knowledge for effective programming

Which mathematics topics should one be aware about for building the coding skills ?

And can anyone please provide some resource links for the same? Please…

Thank You…

Do not think about mathematics topics before coding itself. Learn everything ad-hoc i.e on the spot, go to projecteuler or take up any math problem on any of the online judges(Codechef,Codeforces,Topcoder,Uva,SPOJ,Timus,Peking,LightOJ etc.) and … JUST SOLVE. If you can think of the solution , it’s well and good. But if you cannot, feel free to ask for help… search online, ask somebody who might know it or just raise a question here on codechef. Somebody will defn. help you out. If you still cannot solve, then read the editorials put up. If you finally end up solving the problem, Kudos… you have learnt a new math topic…!! There frankly is no point in studying everything before itself and then applying… learning and applying is no match for applying and learning coz. that’s when you really learn…!!!

2 Likes

Since you are a beginner try to learn the basic needed algorithms;

Make sure that you choose a language which sutes you the best! Say C++. I would suggest you to use that!. Learn Standard Template Library! And start doing the Ad-Hoc questions in the practice section. Once you are strong in a language start working on algorithms and Data Structures. Look Here. Learn the algorithms and start solving questions.

Happy Coding

2 Likes

Here is a similiar question on Quora. The answer there lists most of the mathematical topics required for competitive coding.
Hope this helps :slight_smile: EDIT: Also do have a look at this splendid collection of data structures and algorithms.

2 Likes

well this course will help you a lot not only in competitive programming but also in other courses of computer science.

1 Like

Nice question. I was going to ask the same.

1 Like