Why do I get Time Limit Exceeded though the program runs in 1 sec in my machine..?

I am trying to solve Rendezvous problem…I have created a sample input text using the code below

from __future__ import print_function
import random
import sys

def rendezvous_test(T=25,N=10000, file=None):
    print(T, file=file)
    for _ in range(T):
        C = random.randrange(1,N)
        print(C, file=file)
        if C == 1: pass
        else:
            for i in range(1,(C/2)+1):
                if(C%2 == 0 and i == C/2): range_value = 1
                else: range_value = 2
                for j in range(range_value):
                    print(i,i*2+j, file=file)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    foutput = open(sys.argv[1], 'w')
    rendezvous_test(file=foutput)

With the input file generate my Solution runs in 0.86 s in my machine…But I am still getting a time a limit exceeded error

Can someone help me solving this …?

The time limit given applies to one test-file which follows the constraints given in the problem. However, there are many test-files for a given problem and the time taken shown for accepted solution is the sum of time taken for all the test-files. Even if your program exceeds time limit on any one file, it will notify you with TLE.

You should also take a look at this: question.

The sample file being generated by your generator might not be able to harness the extreme limits of the problem. Or, in some other case, you’re missing out on a case where no result is being printed at all.

1 Like

Is there any other way I can use to test my code for time limit ? The input file generator that I have used has the maximum values as mentioned in the problem statement. So is there any possibility that I can find number of test-files for any problem?