CHSQARR - Editorial

you should find sum in o(1) using summed area table… and optimize 2-d version of your sparse matrix.

I used multiple sliding window for getting the maximum element in sub-matrix.

I maximum element in all the sub-matrix of sizes 1x1 , 2x2 ,4x4,16x16 till 512x512 and for every query used appropriate window to find the maximum element in that sub-matrix.

Time complexity for pre-computation : 10xnxm Overall Time compleity = qnm*logn

Solution : CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

Here is a link to my Solution using 2-D sparse tables.

For those who got TLE in some test cases/full subtask-3 using this, here are a few optimisations:

1. Multi-dimensional arrays take a lot of time for array access. To increase their caching and access speed, it is advised to keep the indices from smaller to larger i.e. declaring rmq array like rmq[11][11][1002][1002]. (Try this problem for more details)
  2. You should pre-compute the log values, although internal log implementation is O(1), the constant factor is large. So computing log the number of times in query increases the time of your program.
  3. Also, a not so needed optimisation is to pre-compute the powers of 2 as well and declare array size as much as required only.

I hope it helps.

4 Likes

Not able to view solutions.

I created 2 D table to store maximum element inside each submatrix. Using DP, I am filling this spare table in O(n*m). I am not getting TLE but I [got] WA in many cases. Please help me figure out what am I doing wrong here. Link to my solution : CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

A lot of people have implemented 2d sparse table like this int sparse [m] [n] [logm] [logn] and they got an tle in subtask#3
Now the catch is if u would implemented like this int sparse [logm] [logn] [m] [n] then it would have passed all casses with flying colors.
Link to my submission by using 2d sparse table: CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

Unable to view setter’s or tester’s solution. And also in the Explanation it should be: “the minimum number of operations required will be x∗a∗b−S.” instead of: “the minimum number of operations required will be x∗n∗m−S.”

I used 2D Sparse Table. I got TLE at first when using the log2() function, then I got AC when I used __builtin_clz().
https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/10296148

I tried 2D sparse table during contest and it got TLE in subtask 3 and now I just changed the declaration of rmq array as suggested by likecs and it passed easily…

Previous solution

New solution

However, I managed to get 100 points during contest with the approach mentioned in editorial but I do think that time limit must be set in such a way that either both solutions should pass or neither of them.

Btw, it was a nice question and I really enjoyed cracking it !!

“Note that for calculating max[i][j+1]max[i][j+1] from max[i][j], we have to add a new element maxCol[i][j+1] and remove the element maxCol[i−a+1][j].” Could anybody please help me understand this statement? Why would we remove maxCol[i-a+1][j]?

One fact can be exploited for finding max in sub array that A[i][j] ≤ 1000. algo for finding maximum-of-all-subarrays-of-size-k :

• Maintain array of length thousand and a pointer to this array.
  • update array with latest discovery time of each value.
  • If updated value is greater than current pointing value update pointer to new value.
  • If current pointer value has expired, decent down the array till you find unexpired value.

This code will pass for random generated value and very simple to code.
Solution

I used summed area tables to find sum of any submatrix in O(1) with O(n^2) preprocessing time. Wikipedia explains them well : Summed Area Table

For finding maximum element I precalculated maximum elements in every 2^a row,2^b column combinations. Like for every sub matrix of size 1,2 1,4 1,8 1,16… 2,1 2,2 2,4 2,8 2,16… 4,1 4,2 4,4 4,8… and so on. This helps to find maximum element in any submatrix in O(1) with O(k.n^2) preprocessing time.

It passed in 1.33 seconds .

Here’s the code : CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

Can anybody tell me please, where my solution is giving wrong ans.
Link: CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

Similar problem from Codeforces

can anyone explain editorial in a precise way?

Check my blog

2 Likes

could any body please tell me why all test cases are not passed in my code ??
link

When the editorial for problem “Misha and Geometry” will be published ??

I can’t open a thread that’s why asking here ! :frowning:

the complexity formula is just a generalization. there are often many more constants to it that could have made the complexity more “complex”.

I think that for each matrix of dimension a*b, the query complexity is O(log(a)+log(b)) and not O(1) , though I would agree that according to the given constraints O(log(a)+log(b) ) is small enough to be considered as O(1).