Decrease in Codechef ratings

A codechef user not solved any problem in January challange only saw the problems his codechef rating is decreased.
Is it possible ?.

I want to know how rating is changes .

3 Likes

I don’t think rating would change unless you take part in the contest and make any submissions.

2 Likes

A user is said to be have participated in or attempted a contest , if he makes a submission ( irrespective of whether its successful or unsuccessful ) .

So yes, if the user has attempted some problems , that is tried but submitted unsuccessful sumbmissions ; he is considered for rating and his rating decreases.

Another case might be that he did solve the problems successfuly ; but was caught by plagiarism detector ; and then his record of successful submission gets deleted and his rating decreases.

However, if a user doesn’t make a single sumbmission in the contest , he is not considered for rating .

Hope this clears.

6 Likes

How unsuccessful attempt affect the once rating. what I wanted to know is what If submitted the successfully in first attempt vs in the 100th attempt, will I get awarded with same rating point for the both cases?

3 Likes

both are same in case of long challenge

Does rating decreases in case of TLE?

Even if you submit compilation error, it means you have participated. So yes, rating will decrease if no further submissions are made

The moment you submit a solution(regardless of error or working code) you have officially participated in the contest.
Few months back i attempted just 1 question in a contest and thought my rating would increase little bit (coz i submitted atleast 1 problem) but later understood that its a competition and ratings could drop if we don’t perform well w.r.t competition.

https://twitter.com/JinishaTejura/status/1285264103770976256

2 Likes

how many times I can submit the wrong code. I mean to say what is limit to submit wrong code, So after that limit my rating goes down.

Rating gain or loss is not a fixed thing. It depends on your relative performance compared to others, so you can’t compare X_{th} place in two contests. If the problems are really tough and everyone takes 2-3 attempts and a lot of time to solve some problem, then it won’t really matter if you have 2-3 penalties. But if problems are on the easier end, then gaining rating is a matter of speed and carefully covering all the cases in order not to get a penalty. So we can’t really say.

There are contests in which penalties don’t matter (Long and Lunchtime), it’s only about the speed of solving problem (meaning time taken to solve it). So don’t focus too much on that, especially at your level, it’s not hard to gain rating even with 10s of penalties in a single contest, provided you are able to solve a decent number of problems, just focus on practice for now and all the mistakes will eventually start to fade away as you build the intuition.

Can rating decrease if I upsolve the problems of a contest after the contest is over ?
Actually it happened with me in Starters 7.
Please help

You submitted CEILSUM during the contest. That’s why u lost rating.
Submitting = Participating

2 Likes