External rated contests doubt

I recently saw some external rated contests being hosted like Contest Page | CodeChef so I have the following doubts?

1. Does it count in the 100% prize thing.
  2. If we don’t register for prizes, will it still be rated for us?
  3. Will even the junior ratings be counted?
  4. This one is not really a question but I don’t think external contests should be rated because they copy most of the questions from other sources and questions are easily googleable. Please comment what you think.

@admin please reply.

1 Like
  1. They clearly mentioned in the blog that for the 100% attendance price award they will be counting only COOK-OFFs ,LTIMEs and LONGs. Do read it again to confirm for yourself. That should settle your first doubt.

2. Ah, well. You are not wrong. But remember, not all the external contests are going to be rated. Only those contests which are set really good are going to be rated. I have found from my experience that some of the external contests had very good quality and have been set and tested by some of the best coders from India. So, they deserve to be rated as that would attract more participants.

3 Likes

Fine even i agree to the point that some of the external contests had very good quality and have been set and tested by some of the best coders from India. So, they deserve to be rated as that would attract more participants, but don’t you people think that if a particular contest is going to be rated one then at least it should be informed to the codechef users through email or it should be mentioned in the upcoming contest because people cannot just go on opening "All contest"link every now and then to check if a particular contest is rated or not.
So if they are increasing the priority of external contest then there should be a proper notification system because obviously they are not as famous as COOK-OFFs ,LTIMEs and LONGs.

5 Likes
  1. No. It does not. Quoting from the blog,
    “If a user participates (ie. solves at least 1 problem; and even partial solutions are counted) in each of CodeChef’s monthly contests (Long Challenge, CookOff, Lunchtime) in any 12 month period, then they will get 1000 Laddus.”

2. Some external contests have prizes that the organizer gives only if you register in their site. But that is irrelevant for us. It will be rated for any user who participates in the contest.

3. Yes, these will be counted towards Combined CodeChef Rating and Junior Combined CodeChef Rating (if applicable).

4. Only contests which we have looked into and are satisfied with, will be Rated.

4 Likes

I think they had a clause that “If codechef thinks that the external contest is good enough, it would also count towards ratings. All the more reason to participate!” or something like that. This should answer point 4. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you’re correct. Some of the external contests are quite nice.

Yes, we will be promoting the external rated contests also. We are working on making this better.

2 Likes