Cheating (problem discussion) in may long 2017

Well, it is clearly cheating, however, they only discuss problems that are not that hard, e.g.: Their CHEFSUBA solution is missing the crucial trick for solving subtask #2. If you are doing CP on a level, it should be more about learning anyway. So if anyone uses that page, they mostly hurt themselves, as they will not learn how to solve problems on their own and will likely never be able to solver harder problems.

1 Like

Anyhow, I wonder how did you happen to stumble across that website…

3 Likes

I think more than coding, Codechef is more about tackling problems and situations in a smart, absolute manner. I am sorry but here, you have failed @sidharth97

1 Like

Is Codechef going to make this contest unrated. If so what about the people who paid their entire time to solve these questions on their own?.

I must say that these guys are losing out a lot by not working on the long challenges by themselves !!
Their loss :smiley:

1 Like

People who have cheated from that site they will make their own loss.As programming can’t be learn coping and pasting someone’s code. So i think this is not a very big issue for those people who have completed the problem by their own.Programming is just not about getting more points.

OK,my opinion in this matter is going to be a little unpopular I guess. And that is WHY do you care? As long as you are not cheating it should not concern you who else is doing what! I mean think about it, long challenge has point based ranking, so even if someone is cheating,it should not affect your ranking that much. and again, I checked the site, the site was more of a every one asking questions in the comments and nobody actually giving a definite reply like “Hey this is the code. paste it and you are good to go”. It doesn’t matter what you do about the site, there will be 1000 other ways by which people can cheat. It is a 9 day contest, which is for the sole purpose of learning.As long as you learning something new yourself from this contest,your purpose for participating in the contest fulfilled. If it was cookoff or lunchtime,that would have been a different story.

Making contest unrated in not a choice in this case because it will surely waste hardwork of many contestants who solved a lot of problems and gave their 12 days in solving them.

abhinav3414_1 | CodeChef User Profile for Abhinav Gupta | CodeChef this user has this website linked in his profile and has made posts on that website as well

proof in case he edits his profile: cultprit hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB

Note: There was no code for the live problems on this website, only subtle hints and people discussing test cases in the comment section

Also going through comments of his posts on the mentioned website revealed some of the users that may have been involved in this, but i cannot say with definite proof about them.

They are even discussing Hackerrank’s week of code contest there!

Looks like sid caught the whole lair of cheaters?

1 Like

The coding approach for solution of easy problems are nearly the same so one cannot tell if visitor took the idea from the website or not . This raises the issue , should all the visitors to the website be penalized or not and if not what should be done?

You cant penalize visitors given that you published the link here. Many curious people (including who already solved the problem) may click on your link and “visit” the site.

Tackling cheating in long challenges is a tough job (esp when things are discussed on other websites)…lets see what admins come up with…

Although my gut feeling says that plagiarism checker would catch and penalize most of them.

4 Likes

Its not only about revealing the issue , it is also about discussing as a community what action should be taken . Someone among the community might have an idea about tackling the problem that has not crossed members of the codechef team.

2 Likes

Sure buddy, no offense, but revealing it while the contest is going on is not right at all. In some way by this action, you are too a part of this promotion. You can still bring down this discussion while challenge is running.

1 Like

Exactly, at least not by this way.

1 Like

None taken, this post might help codechef team in detecting some cheaters. Since I wrote this post the number of today’s visitors on that website increased from 141 to 256 and counting. Among these new visitors some might be cheaters who wanted a solution for their unsolved problem codechef team can analyse their previous submissions and the submissions made after I wrote this post and can catch a cheater

I dont think plagiarism checker would be able to do that… they did not actually discuss code…

I think this question shouldn’t be considered in calculation of rating!

I googled “Chef and Subarray May long” the same title was used for previous contest problems also, so I clicked on tools–> select time past week and there was the link to that website

ops i clicked on the site!..