AMSGAME2 - Editorial

I also had done this before.This is wrong.You Dont need to do this.The number of gcds are small(10^4),so u can use idea of subset-sum problem in here.

sry abt that… i didnt think this way… thanx alot… :slight_smile:

I described it better in this thread - http://discuss.codechef.com/questions/10495/amsgame2-editorial?page=1#10531

Something unclear?

1 Like

@gamabunta thanks for your answer, I agree with you: “Otherwise, there would have been many doubts regarding whether to count only unique sub-sequences or not.” the problem would be slightly harder to understand, but the algorihm is correct if there are duplicities or not :wink: Of cource two sub-sequences are different iff element indexes from original sequence are different.

@bugkiller: That was the reason I asked why has been used when all a[i] are already distinct. :slight_smile:
@gamabunta : Thanks for clarifying.

How curious.

It seems the addition of long in Java is unfathomably slow!

Your solution passes well within the time limits with just this little change. Do a diff to figure.

@al3x1784 >> Actually its not my solution, its acube’s solution. See the comment on the top of the code. And you’ll understand it if you start by taking an example (2, 3); then extend it to (2, 3, 4). Comment back your progress whether you got it or not, then I will help you. :slight_smile:

Thanx for replying btw if you have understood well then pls explain giving the link to the solution so that everybody will get benefitted. :slight_smile:

For example, lets start with the array {2, 3}.
in the for loop, it does nothing and comes out and sets d[2] = 1, okay?
then for 3, it went into the if clause, and updates d[gcd(2,3)] = d[1] to 1. Finally we are printing d[1] which was 1. Pretty fair? Now similarly we will proceed for array {2, 3, 4}

1 Like

Fine then here you go CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

explain this part...
for (; n--;) {
	 		int x;
	 		scanf("%d", &x);
	 		for (int i = 1; i <= 10000; i++)
	 			if (d[i])
	 				d[__gcd(i, x)] += d[i]; //here?
	 		d[x] += d[0]; // why this?
	 	}

```

because, if no such d[i] was found then you know that this element was encountered previously so you update it so that elements coming in future know that particular d[i] is not zero anymore. Told you, take an example and you’ll be fine with it.

1 Like

You have to choose the first element somehow, in f(0, a[0]) you chose a[0] as GCD, but if you skip a[0] GCD is different…

counter example is

your code prints 0 - OF9ewE - Online C++ Compiler & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com, { 1 } is correct sub-sequence

The recursive function is calling itself recursively. :smiley:
Read this http://discuss.codechef.com/questions/10495/amsgame2-editorial?page=1#10531

Thanks @bugkiller and acube for such a wonderful algorithm to such a nice problem. Learnt so much.

@bugkiller i can get the answer by dry run of ur code but cant get the logic of the line “d[__gcd(i, x)] += d[i];” please explain

Can somebody help me understand the tester’s solution?
My solution used N * (1e4 + 1) space. Tester’s solution uses far less. I do not understand how everything is working in those nested loops.

2 Likes

Pls explain the memoization technique

Knew it!!! :slight_smile: