An open letter to community: Why and How cheating happens and why its so hard to stop

were you high when you wrote this blog?

4 Likes

Links :

Youtube channel links, where solution video was published before the end of contests.

This are 4 channel which i had found on youtube.
There would be many other youtube channels going on where solution is been provided.
And have you seen number of submissions for dr chef and dragon den who got full points? :thinking:
Just check it, so that you can get to know weather mass cheating is going or not.

@dardev

5 Likes

The best solution that I can think of to deal with cheating would be to make LONG unrated. Yes cheating won’t stop but it would definitely reduce. But of course CodeChef won’t do it.

1 Like

4* feels like 2* of Div1

4 Likes

+1e(1e18)

People are openly copy pasting code, can’t MOSS detect it?
I reported about two users who are copy pasting code blindly since MAY contests.
I wonder why Codechef isn’t looking at these submissions before declaring the final standings.
The users are
https://www.codechef.com/users/pat2302

Just look at their submissions of the past few contests…
You will come to know about the cheating that is going on.

https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/35578645

Check this solution man!
Now compare with previous one’s of this profile in same problem.

+infinity

Totally agreed!

In the bigger picture, there are many categories of people, like people who just enjoy giving contests which everyone does, people who like ratings or are obsessed with it, which most of us are, people who cross lines in order to excel in what was mentioned in the previous point, people leaving longs due to previous category people, etc.
It is quite convincing that “Cheaters gonna cheat” and we should just focus on ourselves and enjoy long challenges. Well its not that I dont want to but still I belong to the 4th category and as matter of facts, now a days longs are causing an increase in the 3rd category.
Note (not from a contestant’s perspective) : The benefits of Longs still exceeds its down sides but the question is for how long, after all the goal for the community was to increase skills in cp and not in something else :wink:

2 Likes

you have wasted a lot of time in writing something which hardly make any sense.It seems like you are saying “Don’t blame government(or police) for crime just change yourself”. make long contest unrated or codechef rating doesn’t have any value. Cheating in short contest is not easy you will loose time.

1 Like

Click on ... then click on flag icon.

1 Like

Codechef/codeforces/Anyother rating has NO value other than for personal milestone measurements (and maybe a chance to get referral).

When you say codechef long should be unrated, you are basically asking the site to kill a particular contest category.

And yea like I have said, cheating in short contests is super easy.

• Sit down as a team of four/five in the same room during the contest. Code under the same roof. (Actually competitive coding is quite popular as a teamsport)
  • Take turns in participating in contests. Two friends sit together and boost one account’s cookoff in June, and then another in July.

Cheaters will use these strategies once long is unrated (if they are already not using).

I think the main reason many are bitter is that, long contests are much easier to progress in than short contests. Here, I agree with you. Hence we should probably have separate badges for separate categories. A person who got to five star with just cookoffs and lunchtimes is likely to be much more skilled than a five star long coder. I agree with this sentiment.

1 Like

Again bro, WA’s would make a lot of difference. If 4 friends decide to do this, the initial rating is 1500 and 5* begins from 2000 so that is 500 points gain. The max rating gain is capped at 200 something so it would need 3 short contests to do that for one account but they will not always get the max delta so taking 6 contests on an avg (It’s pretty less because if they were that good they wouldn’t need to cheat in the first place). So 6 contests for 1 person, 24 for 4 persons. Now assuming both SHORTS are rated for an year, you get 24 contests. So it will take 1 year for all 4 friends to reach 5* if they participate in all contests for an year and cheat without getting any WA’s in 24 contests. How likely is that??
And as I said WA would make things more interesting.

Now guess what LONG does. All 4 friends need 500 points. Each needs 6 contests. WAs don’t play a role. All can participate in the same contest and then all can get to 5* in 6 months. So 1 year of cheating (without WA’s) is equivalent to 6 months of LONG. And because of the WAs , I am very sure they will take around 2-2.5 years to do that.

It’s understandable you like participating in LONGs and don’t want them to be unrated but atleast say something logical.

5 Likes

One doesn’t need to split burden to boost from 3*. If two or three 3* coders share room, and think tank together, they will easily get a 3ish coder to 4 or even 5. Going beyond that, they can split burden and boost.

5 is not possible IMO that is why I took 5 in my explaination.

1 Like