CHEFGAME - Editorial

You are using Kruskal algorithm that for complete graph has complexity O(V^2 * log V) (due to sort of edges) and is asymptotically slower than Prim’s algorithms.

It was expected that such approach will get TLE.

3 Likes

I see, thanks for your answer :wink:

@tijoforyou same here calculaton of distances and sorting of edges took all the time I was also getting TLE due to the same reason :frowning:

@amitupadhyay
the problem is not with filling of the graph (n(n-1)/2 edges).
But with the sorting of edges also some over head due to union-find.

I have precalculated all the distance (V^2) than applied prim’s.

http://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/2026500

@nirajs got it :frowning: my bad. thanks btw:)

according to wikipedia, Prim’s complexity is O(V^2) - Prim's algorithm - Wikipedia

Thanks. It has been added.

AFAIK O(V * log V) solution exists only in the case of plane (D = 2).

I know that won’t be a big improvement, but we can use

if d[j] <= 1 then break

@betlista : Using binary heap Prim’s complexity can be brought down to O(ElogV)

I’ve also noticed this but decided to stay on “d[j] = 0” version.
But now I see that your version is better since if distances are allowed to be between 0 and 1 then your version is correct but mine not :slight_smile:
So I’ve changed the code snippet.

The delaunay triangulation cannot be used for dimensions greater than 3 . And for the higher dimensions the research is still on. Check this wiki page for more information Delaunay triangulation - Wikipedia

I saw that on wikipedia, but when E=V^2, is this better? I don’t think so, or I missed something?

But in this problem d[j] cannot be in interval (0;1), points have integer coordinates. Btw: comparison is wrong >= instead of <=.

You should take distance modulo only before you multiply it to the answer. Refer to my code snippet in editorial (I’ve changed it a bit to explain this bug).

1 Like

Thanks, fixed. If double would be allowed than distance could be any positive real number and only your version is correct since multiplying the answer by number less than 1 will decrease it.

1 Like

2 3
0 0 0
19325 19339 149
The answer should be 0 while your answer is 747474747.

2 Likes

Thank you very much that was the problem. Probably I have same bug in my Kruskal implementation so I didn’t find it.

thnx a lot :slight_smile:

Fun fact, modulo 747474747 is not a prime number :slight_smile:

2 Likes