Help in Alien Invasion [Lunchtime Aug 2020 , Solved ,(Binary Search)]

Bro I learn this approach when I have to find sqrt(n) without sqrt function , but this upper bound sucks .

I learned this from this question

Hello, I have a doubt, if cooldown time x is valid, it means all cool down times from 1 to x are valid.

For this test case,
2 1
1 7

Answer is 7
First, we hit the enemy at t=1 , then we hit the enemy at t=8

So, total cool down time = 8-1=7

It means, all cool down times less than equal to 7 should be valid!

But for cool-down time, x=4 , I cannot find any strategy to kill both the enemies.

Can you tell how to kill both guys for x=4?
@ssrivastava990
@galencolin (I had the same doubt when I watched your video,great video though ;))

We kill the first enemy at t=1, then our next shot will be ready at t = 1 + 4 = 5, now our next enemy will appear at 7 and last up to 8. Now, as we already have our shot loaded and we can kill enemy at any time between 7 or 8.

1 Like

I thought that it is compulsory to shoot at every x interval :frowning:

I thought like t=1,5,9,13 are dead compulsory to shoot no matter what!

They should have clearly mentioned that, we can skip the shoots, and its not necessary to shoot after every cool down time :frowning:

Thanks for your time, Man!

2 Likes

Another good problem just like this one(Binary search over decimals) is LOGS on AtCoder. Check it out.

1 Like

Can you explain the reason for Upper bound > 2*10^9. even I am facing the same issue but i dont know the reason for it @galencolin

since we first we hit the enemy at 1 and then the cool down is 4 we wait for 4 min then after cool down is done we can again hit the element at 7 , ie it we hit it at 1,7 (since at we have our machine already cooled and not hit any machine after 4) (PS. we do not fire at time =4 but we wait for next element to arrive after the cool down period ) look at the (else-if condition in for loop where nxt < a[i]) we curr firing time at c[i] since our machine is already cooled and we have not fired after that (CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone)

Very simple case:

2 1000000000
1 1000000000

answer is like 2 \cdot 10^9 - 1 or something

so you always have to make sure your binary search bound actually works by imagining the worst-case, and don’t just guess it

3 Likes

thank you

took different higher bound in the two submissions and also you have a different template in the other solution.