How did you guys solve Construct Array [CARR]

I used a slightly different recurrence relation. Here’s how it goes:
I build the number of solutions that is the answer to the problem starting from Array Size = 2 and up to N.
Consider 2 types of solutions:

1. Solutions where last 2 elements are the same. Name this Sols_Same
    In this case for Array size 2, we have m solutions, namely where each element from m appears twice successively.
  2. Solutions where the last 2 elements are different. Name this Sols_Different
    In this case for Array size 2, we have m x (m - 1) solutions, a choice for m in the 1st Array position, then we’re left with m - 1 choices left that are different from the 1st choice.

Then the recurrence relation will be as follows:
Sols_Same(n) = Sols_Different(n - 1)
Sols_Different(n) = ( Sols_Same(n - 1) + Sols_Different(n - 1) ) x (m - 1)

For the 1st one, the explanation is that to extend a solution from n - 1 to n where the last 2 elements are the same, I can extend all those from Sols_Different(n - 1) with exactly one possible choice (the one where the last element is duplicated). And also, I can’t extend any solution from Sols_Same(n - 1) to this type.

For the 2nd recurrence relation, the explanation is that for both types of solutions from n - 1, I can extend all solutions from both types with m - 1 possible choices for each, namely the one where I choose an element different from the last one.

Final solution will be Sols_Same(n) + Sols_Different(n). You can construct a matrix for the recurrence relation and compute fast the solution in log(n) time.
For me I think the hard part was figuring out I only need to keep track of the state of the last 2 elements (different or equal).

5 Likes

This is my approach to this problem
let A(n) be valid sequences having first two digits equal to ‘m’.
let B(n) be valid sequences having first digit equal to ‘m’ and second digit different.
let C(n) be valid sequences having first digit different than ‘m’.
You can easily notice that
A(n+1) = B(n)
B(n+1) = C(n)
C(n+1) = (m-1)*(C(n)+B(n))
Our answer is A(n) + B(n) + C(n).

Let t(n) be the number of ways of filling the first n spaces that satisfy the conditions. Now
t(n)=t(n-1)*m-(m-1)*t(n-3), since there will be a case when n,n-1,n-2 are same. So number of ways for that to happen are (m-1)*t(n-3), since these numbers can be anything except a[n-3]. So we subtract this.
I think this recurrence also works but yeah maybe the % is causing issues.

1 Like

Great man ! Now i guess I’ll have to wait for February CookOff😛 to get my lost ratings (and respect) back

2 Likes

Can you please share your code?

if you would have googled out during the contet time
solution on stack overflow

My code : CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone

Unlucky me. I honestly saw this post. But just read inclusion exclusion thing and closed it XD
Wasted my time to get recurrence.

1 Like

I also became 5 star again :pensive:

unlucky me too dont got time to see why I am getting tle in my original solution can you explain my solution link is
please check it

1 Like

dont worry I never reached 5 stars .
once I got the chance in October lunchtime but unluckily it was made unrated . But one day I will reach definitely

2 Likes

DON’T ever use endl
It’s super slow.
Also I think modulo and loops are causing TLE.
Mine is gfg code. Seems like its quite fast.

ohk I first looked to find it on geeks but I thought that why everytime on geeks we must experiment other resources too so I found this code but I commited a mistake but my star was saved at border ]
1802…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I had TLE until I added “&” after the parameter type in my multiplication operator for matrices. This passes the arrays by pointers but then deals with them as normal.
But, I also made one more change. I removed this mod I highlighted from the mult.
If you already have A[i][k], B[k][j] and C[i][j] mod 10^9 + 7 and ≥ 0, then this mod operation is unnecessary for long long matrices.
C[i][j] = (C[i][j] + A[i][k] * B[k][j] % mod) % mod;

What would go wrong with the following formula?

Formula:

Where gives all possible sequences and gives all the unacceptable sequences for all 1…M integers.

1 Like

Done. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi,
I arrived at the same recurrence to solve the problem. I referred to a different article on geeksforgeeks https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/matrix-exponentiation/ regarding the implementation. Both your code and my code feel the same to me. Can you please point out (if possible) if there is any difference you are able to find in my solution. Thanks.

My Code - https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/29185259

1 Like

@l_returns
Dude… Can you explain how did you get this correct without knowing exact proof ?
Did you take nap in between and it came to your dream right ?(i do not thing so)
LOL…:exploding_head::clap::clap:

1 Like

You’ll know if you’re saved or stuck in next contest XD

Just see answer for few test cases and solve it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like