Is competitive programming required to do well in interviews? | Interview Tips

Is Competitive Programming required for interviews?

Having been quite active in the interview preparation scene recently, I’ve observed that there is a lot of misconception around competitive programming in the context of interview preparation.

Competitive programming (CP), which is a mind sport, is often compared with the problem-solving, data structures and algorithms (PS/DS) interview round.

So I decided to write an article to clear these misconceptions.

Article Link: Is competitive programming required to do well in interviews?

tl;dr

CP may help you become a better problem solver and coder but it does not guarantee that you’ll perform well in a PS/DS round if you do not work on your data structures and algorithms fundamentals. Neither is it required for the interview if you already have decent problem solving and coding skills and have solid understanding of DS and Algo. Though it will definitely help you in getting to the solution faster and coding it quickly if you are good at CP.

So, the short answer is: It is not essential but is definitely something that we would encourage you to try and see if you like it.

Do let me know your thoughts.

My Background (LinkedIn):

• Ex-SDE II at Flipkart; Ex-SDE at Microsoft
  • ACM ICPC regionalist (thrice; Rank: 23, 67 and 69)
6 Likes

If you liked this you might also like: How to prepare for and ace the PS/DS (problem solving, data structures and algorithms) coding round? | Interview Tips and How to prepare for and ace the machine coding round? | Interview Tips

2 Likes

How to prepare for technical interviews at companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Google, Microsoft, Swiggy, Uber, etc?

1 Like

SDE I Interview Preparation: The Ultimate Guide | Interview Tips