Low teaching quality of editorials

@varunv153 -

The problem is with the editorial taking too much effort as it is not much interesting.

Usually the quench of solution is interesting enough. Dont read the editorial just for sake of reading it, especially if you havent read the problem statement either!

hook in problem statement (something that makes me interested in the problem, like the story in problem statements)

Its an editorial, not a fan fiction for God’s sake! What “interesting” thing can you have in an official solution of a problem? I can only think of memes but they are pretty irrelevant lol.

Repeat after me-

“EDITORIALS ARE OFFICIAL SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS, FOR THE PEOPLE WHO TRIED , BUT FAILED TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THEIR PRIMARY PURPOSE, IN NO WAY, IS TO ADVERTISE AND INCREASE POPULARITY/INTERESTINGNESS OF A PROBLEM.”

You read editorial because the problem interested you in first place. Vice versa is not applicable, and it is also not the way to follow. End of Discussion.

a simple solution : taking small number examples to explain the thinking process that was gone through to come up with the solution, a gradual increase to bigger values and later a mathematical solid proof

While ideal, its not always possible.

Try writing a sample editorial of a simple, and a medium problem. I am pretty interested in how you feed the obvious to the beginners and how you break down complex stuff for beginners without making the editorial long and boring. Some things are better understood when trying ourselves. As usual, I always say, if you feel you are up for the task why not apply for editorialist and show how its done? :slight_smile:

drawings representing the solution to aid visual learners.

Sometimes, usually for geometry problems. You cannot have drawings for each problem, like, what will you draw? Lol. Visual learners, sorry! Please learn how to comfortable learn from reading as well :confused:

I believe readers understanding the editorial is the main objective, not the effort the editorialist puts in making the editorial. The effort is appreciated but it’s not the main objective.

And I already went over on why this metric of readers understanding stuff is flawed in itself. Not repeating that.

In current system, all editorials are approved by setters/contest-admin/tester to make sure they are good enough and accurate. I am strictly not entertaining anything like the criteria you mentioned simply because it varies from person to person, rating division to rating division.

A method of writing editorial liked by people in 5 star spectrum may not be liked by people of 2 star spectrum. And writing editorials to appease a particular spectrum leads to an overall worse situation because now people of lower spectrum find it more difficult to fill the difficulty gap from one spectrum to another (as editorials for higher spectrum are now written with top rated guys as audience in mind rather than newcomers.).

So no, your criteria overall leads to a pretty worse situation. Feedback Rejected.

I don’t think GFG makes you memorize anything. As far as concerned with solutions I’ve seen, I’ve just seen logical explanations. Maybe you’ve come across a problem statement on GFG I’ve not come across.

Bro, did you do GFG enough? Take this as example- Tarjan's Algorithm to find Strongly Connected Components - GeeksforGeeks and let me know how interesting and easy it is :slight_smile:

@just1star -

I kind of agree with many of your points. Just addressing the one where I disagree.

Drawings? Why don’t you draw it out yourself if you have such a hard time comprehensing the solution.

Sometimes it is very difficult to put into words the exact thing, or exact test case. For such cases, a drawing by editorialist is appreciated. Usually for geometrical or graph problems.

Editorials right now are actually too godamn long and dragged out.

Which I feel is fine as long as people understand. It’d not be fine if even after reading them people do not understand. Its not like the editorialist is having a gala fun time writing long editorials either.

Proof sections should be left to the reader so at least they have to put in some effort at least, or linked to sources instead of being explained in baby - steps.

Most of the problem boils down to 2 things - What is the correct approach, and why is it correct? This why becomes a major part of the editorial, and editorialist tries to impart learning through that. Telling “what” is correct can be easily done in 1-2 paragraphs. The “why” is important, and the real beauty of the editorial. Skipping the “why” means the editorial will be incomplete and a larger fraction of beginners/strugglers would not benefit from it.

The one who came close would have already known most of the proofs.

Sometimes, even after putting a lot of effort, they do not come close to actual solution one way or another. I think that will now help you understand my point of view better.

Overall, the editorials should just be shortened to the quick - explanation section. At least now some damn effort will have to be put in to understand, and if you get bored, that’s your fault. You won’t if you actually spent some time solving the problem and found it interesting.

Quick explanation section is Codechef’s solution to this dilemma. Top rated guys come, read the quick explanation and jump at relevant parts to satisfy themselves. New rated guys get a gist of the solution, make notes of crucial steps to learn and move on to main explanation. I feel current system is fine.

So, if someone is concluding that editorials are long and boring, he just isnt reading them the right way. Perhaps I can make a long problem on it someday :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

@vijju123 Out of topic :- Can you suggest something, like what to do in such situations:-

“You know your solution idea is correct, but it fails 1-2 cases, now, even though you check it with other solutions and editorial, no difference can be spotted after running over self-generated test cases… so in such cases how can we know which test case is the one where our code is failing on Codechef?”

Try the N=1 corner case :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ok sir :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: I am even ready to pay to Codechef for buying testcases :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

i think the complaint should be about contests and not editorials
codechef problems are great but they are put in a way such that the contest becomes unbalanced
https://www.codechef.com/COOK110B
i am not a big fan of codechef contests
also codechef rating system is not so strict
it offers free rating everytime
u will get a rise even if u dont solve any problem

and u will get +150 if u write 5 lines of code for 5 mins and then sleep

but the problems themselves are so interesting and the editorials are great
when i try to solve problems from practice section …i learn a lot
and the editorials are so good that u can get the thinking ability u need to solve
other similar problems(especially if the editorialist is vijju bhai :heart_eyes:)

2 Likes

Not in a mood to argue but try to understand that if your rating is as low as 1270, it will increase no matter how you perform according to calculations, but this effect stops as soon as you reach close to 1400…so not a problem really…

And if it is so easy and free to get ratings here why only 10-7 people are 7-stars in India… everybody should have very high rating by now according to your logic…

And about 5 lines and sleeping, try that in last time cookoff and you’ll see how hard it hits your rating, even if you are in div-2… just solving 1 qn is not enough to get enough rating boost these days…you can try it out yourself…

5 Likes

What do you mean by “unbalanced” here? In div1, problems with fewest solves are SAVJEW and the 2 div1 - exclusives. I don’t see any unbalanced issues.

@vijju123, for problems that requires “visual” as he said to understand, they are most likely graphs and geometry anyway, which can be easily drawn out by the reader. The kind of stuff that is harder to do so is probably a DP table, but who the hell displays THAT in an editorial.
I do agree with your other points.
Also, I suggest you this: For questions that are related to an editorial you write and actually is valid like: wrong equations, wrong variable being shown, … sure, reply and tell them you have fixed it. But just don’t reply to the stupid - ass questions like “omg how do I learn digit dp”, “omg what is Cauchy - Schwartz”, “omg how did you come up with this solution”, …, it ain’t helping causes. Just let them talk to themselves and see that no one actually cares.

1 Like

that is bad
when would they learn if their ratings never fall

but codeforces calculations are such that people even get negative ratings
and so the ratings have more value

and that’s how you see 4 stars here asking “what is dp” and “what is recursion”.

5 Likes

And then there are ppl who only solve Div-1 last problems when they are in div-2, so they never come to Div-1 :joy:

Guys likes these are to be blamed for good performance of noobs :stuck_out_tongue:

That is bound to happen when just math is asked in a Long-Challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello everyone,

I have tried to make video solutions for the problems I have solved in September Long Challenge 2019, hoping to help people understand the problem and what was my approach for the same.
I created a playlist for the same: Codechef September Long Challenge 2019: Video Solution Playlist

Please do like the video and do subscribe for more such content.

Happy Coding
Divyanshu Kumar

Ummm… definitely not me okie? Im a nooby 3 star

No, you are “just1star” noobie :stuck_out_tongue: (In reality, a 7-star hiding with the mask of 3-stars :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

This maybe to you but if you think of someone who has just begun writing loops ( Basically I meant has just started to learn some language ) ; and trying to solve the question ( Even 1st question of a div 2 contest ) ; what about him…?

What we already know will always be boring ; and what we find difficult to understand will always be small and under-explained… I think we should not comment upon length at least…

Bro for beginners I say… They will not read editorials because so much complex logic and lengthy language is written ( may be easy but yes they are just beginners on cc) .

I think editorials should be explained with examples along with corner test cases.

3 Likes

Correct.

I find editorials to be great in codechef. I am sure if someone read it properly they will understand it.I don’t understand why you guys are complaining about editorials. If you don’t understand anything you can always comment and ask.

5 Likes

The quality of content on G4G stands nowhere in place of CodeChef’s. They do have some good tutorials and solutions but many a times things are plain wrong, this is because now-a-days literally anyone puts a question/topic over there. One thing on top of my mind is this question- Smallest subarray with sum greater than a given value - GeeksforGeeks, the optimal solution given to the problem is wrong and haven’t been corrected by them. Also, as @aryanc403 said, G4G is not a site for Competitive Programming, it’s a site for Interview Preparation. Both are different. For CP I would prefer cp-algorithm and blogs from sites like Codeforces, CodeChef, TopCoder and HackerEarth.
And having read editorials on Hackerrank, Codeforces and Codechef, I would say that CC has indeed the best editorials, I wish @vijju123 wrote more of these. Sometimes, they may not be good but then there is always a comment section to point out the flaws and ask for clarifications.

2 Likes