MAY Long Challenge 2021 - Asking for opinion

I think codechef needs to do something there is mass cheating going on just see the number of submissions of particular have increased exponentially with high accuracy in last 2-3 days .The problems in which I suspect cheating are tree house,modular equation .I got to know from my friends that people are selling solutions on telegram and some have even uploaded the solutions on youtube . Both Div 2 and Div 3 should have unrated long challenge .This was my first long challenge and I am in div 2 initially with score of 230 my rank was around 200 but after huge cheating it is falling day by day and currently it has come to 2536 .I am still trying to optimize my algorithm for tle but i doubt even if i optimize it the cheaters may find solutions of the next problem and honest coders usually face the loss . If things go like this i will never participate in long as it is not worth the time then .

1 Like

Doesn’t CodeChef use MOSS to detect plagiarism? I don’t get how making it unrated mid-contest is better than just waiting out the cheaters.

From what i read in one of the threads the MOSS is many months behind the current contests .I don’t know if it is correct or incorrect .

1 Like

Codechef is always slow. MOSS is running late like really late . They conduct MOSS checks after 5-6 months. Last year they conducted MOSS check of 2 years . So you can conclude the fact from here

1 Like

It should be unrated for div2 participants. So that they don’t become 5* just by cheating. Because most of them just want to brag about it in their resume. Old accounts should’ve their long ratings deducted. I think it should be rated for Div1 and Div3 participants because cheating is less in Div1 and for Div3 it won’t matter much if they become 3* coders, lol. Plagiarism detection for the short contests should be done after each contest.

2 Likes

Also when is codechef going to run their MOSS detector for the past 7-8 months?

2 Likes

Same here : (

1 Like

Placement season is close. Cheating will be on an all-time high. Everybody wants to become 5* coder. CodeChef please run MOSS detector, if possible : (

2 Likes

There’s a youtube channel showing solutions to all the problems

I would like to talk about the fact, would love to get a response from my fellow coders, does stars or rating really matters? I am neither against nor for the long contest, but many people say that the long contest is a gateway for getting more stars. But as a programmer, do they really matter?

People use to make fun of me saying " You are a 2 coder, you probably don't know how good it is to be a 4/5* coder ", but after being a 4* coder, I don't find any difference.

And talking about the ratings, I think it should be rated, cause it keeps us kinda motivated. To stop the malpractices:-

1. CC should freeze the ranking day after the contest ends(just like Google does), and then run a MOSS check on problems, which have a number of submissions > some threshold value. In such a manner, the time needed for checking can be reduced.
  2. Put the IP address, Name, UserName of the user on the submission screen as a moving element, such that even if someone dares to share the solution on any medium, there are chances that they might be caught
Well this is not a fool-proof idea, but can reduce the problem to some extent.
1 Like

It is also important to probably reduce time for long to say something like 1 or 2 day which is a good enough time and we can probably keep it’s rating different from short challenges and don’t include in overall rating .I have seen many people with rating of 2100-2200 in long while in short challenges they are stuck at 1500-1600 and they regularly participate in both .

2 Likes

Yes, in the last 3 problems, their number of solutions has increased drastically.

Yes it matters when some companies ask for your codechef profile

Codechef spends most on Long Challenges (these problems also have the highest quality)… Making the contest unrated for MAJORITY of the audience would significantly decrease the Attention towards long challenges and consequently, CodeChef itself because they are the reason why many (or most I think) people use CodeChef, Long Challenges are what makes CodeChef unique.

Why do you think Codechef would want to decrease its Audience?

I some what think the same, CC updates rating after 3-4 hours which clearly signifies that they hardly put any effort in checking plagiarized solutions, but if you see on codeforces
they usually take around 1 day before they update ratings.

Div 2 is not the majority. There were only 6000 participants in div 2. Also, I believe it has the biggest cheater-participant ratio. Any guy who cheats in div3 will soon be in div2 and he’ll cheat there too but if it is unrated it would be impossible for them to cover the gap between div3 and div1 without giving short contests which is the motivation/final goal for most of the participants. Also if say 3000 cheaters stop giving contests then 3000 or more people who left long challenge due to cheating cases will join. It’s a win-win situation for codechef.

hmm maybe I was wrong about the I was about the “majority” part…
but most of the honest contestants the Long challenges are about fun and learning stuff. Even I wouldn’t have put this much effort into the problem ISS because it was NT, and I simply suck at it. Still, I tried my best and even learned some number theory which isn’t possible in short challenges.

short contests which is the motivation/final goal for most of the participants.

No one forces them to participate in long challenges. I personally participate in both and making Longs unrated would take away most of the benefits of participating in it for honest contestants.

Here is Admin’s take on that…

Nobody Fucking cares about their stars if they don’t have the skill.

1 Like

Maybe you are right. It is not possible to make longs unrated but it obviously has some disadvantages. For example, I know people in my college who are good in DSA but they used to perform terribly in CodeChef contests but from the past 2 - 3 long challenges they have started cheating. In this long, they were able to solve/cheat 6 questions. They are doing this because they want to get 5* because as some YouTubers advise “it’s good for your resume”. It’s a win-win situation for cheaters. They have mugged up 450 questions by love Babbar, they are really good in development. Now they want to bluff their rating so that they get shortlisted no matter what parameter is considered and it’s obvious that they’ll be able to crack easy interview questions because they are generic/ not that hard. But I guess I have to make my peace with it. This does not affect everybody. It’s just that it feels really terrible.

1 Like

Yes, at the last moment

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like