Please update rust version

Hello. Current rust version is very outdated. Can you update it? If you have any problems I can help with that

8 Likes

Hi, we have started working on our next batch of language updates. We’ll update in a few weeks’ time.

Thanks! It’s good to know that language updates are finally coming. Are you updating them one at a time or everything at once? How is testing performed to confirm that the updated compilers are working properly? I offered my help with testing your D language compiler earlier and this offer still stands.

What do you think about having more than 1 compiler for some programming languages? Currently at least C++ and Python have multiple implementations on CodeChef and such redundancy is a very good thing. All compilers have bugs. Bugs are very uncommon and not easy to reproduce during contests, but they do exist. Let’s look at GCC bug #100740 as an example:

C++ code (reproducible with GCC 9 and newer, Clang works fine)
#include <iostream>
unsigned a, b;
int main() {
  unsigned c = 0;
  for (a = 0; a < 2; a++)
    for (b = 0; b < 2; b++)
      if (++c < a) {
        std::cout << "Compiler bug! See https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=100740\n";
        return 1;
      }
  std::cout << "No problems detected\n";
  return 0;
}
D code (reproducible with GDC 9 and newer, LDC works fine)
import std.stdio;
uint a, b;
int main() {
  uint c = 0;
  for (a = 0; a < 2; a++)
    for (b = 0; b < 2; b++)
      if (++c < a) {
        writeln("Compiler bug! See https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=100740");
        return 1;
      }
  writeln("No problems detected");
  return 0;
}

CodeChef still offers both GCC 6.3 and GCC 9.1 for C++, so anyone affected by that particular bug can just switch to an older version of GCC and have their solution accepted. AtCoder platform additionally offers Clang compiler for C++ and this is even better, because the probability of triggering compiler bugs in both GCC and Clang by the same code simultaneously is very low. Having LDC compiler support would be a great backup option for D language too.

BTW, the latest version of PyPy has a nasty performance bug and you probably want to dodge it when doing your upgrades.

3 Likes

Any ETA?

2 Likes

Hello.
I wanted to know if the compilers (specifically rustc) is being updated. When can we expect it to be updated? So many features are missing in the old compilers, there are so many errors reported by 1.14 (current version of rustc at codechef) that run properly without any error on the latest 1.59.0 compiler version.
Please update the compilers.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Let’s make a weekly tradition of asking when rust will finally be updated

5 Likes

Seems like still not updated

4 Likes

A yet another reminder that we are still waiting for compiler upgrades and this is a big deal. Could you please at least tell us if you are planning to update them one at a time or everything at once? Rust is a very interesting programming language.

Also, since this has been delayed for so long, why not just update it to the latest version, 1.60.0. This would be really nice thing to do. :grinning:

Seems like I missed a week, but will try not to in the future

2 Likes

It would also be great to get a newer version of Python3, so we can start using the walrus operator :seal:

2 Likes

Another week, still no updates

1 Like

I am starting to wonder what “few” means

4 Likes

Missed a week again. Should I finally set up reminder?

1 Like

Hey @EgorK - apologies for the delay at our end on this. Its will take about 3 - 5 days of work at our end to check some of our internal components. Once we update that → it will be about 7 - 10 days of work at SPOJs end. Something has kept coming in the way of picking this up. Committing to get this in place by June end. As soon as our component is done and we’ve requested SPOJ for changes - we’ll update you here.

Hello!

Thanks for reply. I would be very grateful if you’d post whenever progress is made in any of the stages

1 Like

any new updates?

1 Like

It isn’t the end of June yet. Nagging before they actually missed their new deadline is counterproductive.

So, today is last day of June. Any updates?

@EgorK - Hi Egor - sorry for the delay. We have completed our work and sent this to SPOJ. Should be soon - will update hear once we hear from them.

1 Like