Rating system update - Elo MMR final migration

I got a global rank 4 in div 1 and still ended up with -2 :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

@admin Why my rating had been dropped to -76 even after global rank of 74 in May Lunchtime 2022 ??

Imma leave your platform real soon, you guys are really trash. What is wrong with you people. I had the ratings in my resume and all and you ditch us like that wth man

6 Likes

I used to believe there is a limit to drama on Codechef, but seems like I was wrong. I became a 4 star coder directly from being a 6 star coder just because of rating system changes. This feels hilarious now :joy:
On a serious note, this is pretty bad and wasn’t expecting anything like this.

10 Likes

I understand. But does that explain why accounts which participated more recently generally saw much smaller drops (gains, in some cases)? I’ve seen many pairs of accounts where one clearly performs worse than the other, but ended up with a higher rating because it participated more recently; and its not immediately clear to me how that is possible if ratings have been actually recalculated for all contests

1 Like

“accounts which participated more recently generally saw much smaller drops (gains, in some cases)”
This is because for the last 5 months, the ratings from the old system have been gradually shifted towards the new system in each contest that the user participated in. This is explained in Elo-MMR ratings go live on CodeChef!. So people who participated recently would have their ratings already much closer to the new system ratings, as opposed to people who haven’t participated in the last 5 months.

“ended up with a higher rating”
That shouldn’t be the case. The final rating is just what the Elo-MMR system gives after recalculating on all the contests from the beginning of time for everyone.

3 Likes

Thanks. Leaving codechef permanently

10 Likes

Codechef is nothing but a shitty platform. only drama drama about everything

5 Likes

literally the worst possible decision you guys could have taken

1 Like

Well I understand why this changes has been done.
Codechef now being a part of unacademy instead of Directi has a clear motive to sell paid courses and somehow create a FOMO in the minds of young coders that they are not good and are not improving so that they in turn end up buying their shitty courses.
Well you forgot one thing CC. There is a far better and bigger platform than yours, Codeforces.
So kudos to you losing so many coders including me who won’t be participating in your upcoming contests.
Well done!

15 Likes

Starters 69 Division 2 i got global rank 66 but but rating went from 1893 to1784. why??? peoples who’s rank was lower than me their rating increased but mine decreased why???

2 Likes

Now I understood that codechef is nothing but a shitty platform.
After getting a global rank of 96 my rating went down to 1710 from 1815.

3 Likes

@admin Instead of messing up with our old contests, can you please add a new data point in our rating graph marked as ELO-MMR migration? It does not make sense to rewrite history by erasing internet points related numbers one has mentioned at other places.

17 Likes

shitty platform , that it ( i mean just look at my rating drop after getting global rank 76)

How can i get -193 when i gave a contest not even rated for me @admin . i gave a long rated for div 3-4 while i was in div 2 and got -193.

Give codechef back to directi.

2 Likes

same here everything was good until this idiotic ed tech company took over

1 Like

Suppose your actual rating should be x according to the new rating system, and currently it’s y.
They have directly made y as x and reflected that change in the last contest so as to preserve your past history as much as possible.

For the users who were participating regularly (like me) for the past 4-5 months, they got a part of that negative delta in each of the contests, so they don’t have much change now.

Users who have very less rated contests (maybe 10-12) have seen a positive change in the rating as according to the current rating system, the initial 6 contests are like rating boosters and they have got that huge positive delta by participating in many lower division contests while they should be in the higher division. [This is a flaw in their rating system I think]

And so for the rest of the users, i.e, the users who have participated in a lot of contests and now are inactive (i.e not giving contests for the past 4-5 months) have seen a sudden drop in the rating.

3 Likes

3 Likes

If feel it is a good decision. Not doing something for long makes you lose the touch. People who got reduced ratings can give contests and prove their worth.

5 Likes