Regarding Problem Setting

1. Yes. You upload the problems at http://campus.codechef.com (account there is made by admin only for setting panel). A testing page is created for you, which is more or less like the contest. There you can add your problem and see how it is looking. Its slightly better when hosted on codechef, but it does the job. You can upload test data there, submit solutions and everything necessary.
  2. No rigid rules. In fact, test file name isnt even visible. However, for purposes of automating the uploading of TC, it is recommended that you rename input files with a .in extension, output files with a .out extension, and keep the names of corresponding input-output files same. If you follow that, you can use the automated script for uploading test cases. Else you’d have to do it by hand, which again, is not a very major No, you MUST follow the rule but more or less like a minor inconvenience to you depending on how many test files you have (and their size). (Codechef does not have the zip upload feature as of now :frowning: , so we use a script to upload test files XD)
2 Likes

Great; thanks again - I think I’ll skip this Long Challenge and work on getting these polished up and submitted :slight_smile:

Oh - will it count against me if I submit (say) three Problems in rapid succession? They are intended for Long Contests, and I judge them to be (respectively) Medium, Easy-Medium and Medium-Hard.

Oh - and are “sequel” Problems that are thematically similar to existing Problems (but which require completely different approaches to solve them) discouraged?

1 Like

Oh - will it count against me if I submit (say) three Problems in rapid succession? They are intended for Long Contests, and I judge them to be (respectively) Medium, Easy-Medium and Medium-Hard.

Not at all! In fact, they’d love active setting participation from the community. There is a never ending requirement for problems of higher difficulty!

Oh - and are “sequel” Problems that are thematically similar to existing Problems (but which require completely different approaches to solve them) discouraged?

What matters is the approach. Just to make the answer more general, I will answer for other cases as well-

• If all 3 problems have similar solutions, then it makes sense to accept only one of them.
  • If all 3 have different solutions, but of same topic, they might not be included in same contest but thats all. This is to make sure contests are not imbalanced over a topic.
  • If only story is same - not an issue at all. Like, nobody cares for story at all (unless it becomes extremely big :stuck_out_tongue: )
2 Likes

Great, thanks - in the case I had in mind, only the story is similar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ended up procrastinating a little too much, so I’ve submitted the Problem Idea P1 (of three) at Problem Idea Submission | CodeChef to light a fire under my @$$ :slight_smile:

Let’s see if it gets a response!

Edit:

Skipped P2 for now as, despite having a working implementation, the Sketch Approach isn’t fully formalized yet, but submitted problem P3 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Gosh - got a response from @alei just a few hours later. Looks like P1 has been Approved, so far :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ended up submitting P2 last Tuesday, and it’s already been approved by @alex_2oo8 - that’s 2 out of 3 so far, with a very quick turnaround; kudos to the Codechef Team :slight_smile:

7 Likes

P3 is very, very tentatively Approved for February Long(!), though a lot can go wrong between now and then :slight_smile:

Where can I find this script? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really hope that your problems get approved. I am very much looking forward to solving those! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks - hope everyone enjoys them :slight_smile:

1 Like

If my problem gets rejected, do I get any mail notifying that?

Mostly no. Depends on difficulty of problem - for harder problems people did receive feedback in past. For cakewalks? Nopes.

1 Like

Once you get a campus account you can request admin for that. Its not made public afaik. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, OK - thanks - I’ve got my campus account and have emailed people asking for the script, but it’s Sunday :man_shrugging: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lmao noob

(Jk don’t take this seriously)

I proposed 2 problems in the March.

They got approved on 22nd March and 7th April respectively. I prepared it and sent it, Admin recorded these problems on 28th March and 12th April respectively.

After that I havent got any reply from codechef, I did write a follow up mail 11 days ago. I didnt get any reply. Is there any chance I will get reply or I should use those ideas for another contest ?

2 Likes

Might as well give a quick update while this thread’s bumped :slight_smile:

I submitted 3 Problems (P1, P2 and P3) and all were accepted quite quickly.

P3 was CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone :slight_smile:
P2 I ended up withdrawing as I found a simple “cheat” approach that beat and couldn’t think of any testcases that would scupper it :frowning:

P4: (Medium-Hard) : submitted in February 2020; no response.
P5: (Easy-Medium - or maybe plain Medium) : submitted 10th July 2020; no response.
P6: (Medium-Hard; possible plain Hard) : submitted 10th July 2020; no response.

So it looks like I just got lucky with the first three in that I got responses XD

4 Likes

What was P1?

1 Like

Can’t say, as it hasn’t been published :slight_smile: :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Oops! I thought it was published. Would love to see it when it’s published.

2 Likes