STFM - Editorial

Can you please elaborate your doubt? What part you did not understand?

You should ask your question as an actual question in the Forum. You most probably wonā€™t get an answer if you post your question as an answer to another question

to calculate ( a / b ) % m you need to find multiplicative inverse of 2 modulo m and to calculate that m and b must me coprime.

As said above (AB)%M=((A%M)(B%M)%M)ā€¦so lets consider a case where we need to calculate the factorial of 5.What we will do is calculate the factorial and perform the modulo operation on it.

fact=1; for i=1 to i<=5: fact=((fact%M)*(i%M))M; do it this way and you will get the correct answer.
Note : M here being the number whose modulo the answer should be.

Maybe you just shouldnā€™t use Python for 10^7 operations. Slow languages are slow.

2 Likes

Then maybe they shouldnā€™t allow it, or (preferably) they should accommodate for itā€¦I am learning, and only 1 language at a timeā€¦

Also, I think that even with the alternative formula, the timing problem is the same, as (x+1)! is still same number of multiplicationsā€¦

So problem is impossible for python? Is that the answer?

You dont need to calculate 107ā€¦instead you need to calculate (107)%M for the given M and its not a big deal to calculate (10**7)%Mā€¦

Just a guess,

if(x%2==0)
        return (x%m*(x/2)%m*(x+1)%m)%m;
    else
        return (x%m*x%m*((x+1)/2)%m)%m;

It looks like these expression gets overflowed. I am not sure about though. I can give you the testfile on which you are getting wrong answer though.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply but, that doesnt seem to be the problemā€¦ Iā€™ve changed the return type to ULL and added yet another mod just to be sure and I only get WA on those 3 fliesā€¦ :confused: weird

I have the same problemā€¦ did you find the error?

Modulo and multiplication have the same precedence, so that expression is evaluated left-to-right:

• x=a
  • a%m=b
  • b*(x/2)=c
  • c%m=d

etc. Since b can be around 10^9 and x/2 around 10^18, itā€™s not hard to see that overflow occurs when computing c.

1 Like

Hey @xellos0, nice, thanks for the tip, soā€¦ how can I fix that above code? :confused:

"This means, we can reduce the task to multiply 3 numbers up to 10^7 (the modulo value) by doing modulo M for each of the numbers before multiplication. "

isnt this what Iā€™m doing?

M <= 10^7ā€¦ and if x < M then, yes, you do, as stated in the editorial. Letā€™s store the sum of 1āˆ—1!+2āˆ—2!+ā€¦xāˆ—x! for each xā‰¤M

No. We precalculate all the values upto M beforehand. So we can answer for each integer in O(1). Thatā€™s why O(M+N)

1 Like

Is this correct?

unsigned long long int divparcel(unsigned long long int x, int m)
{
if(x%2==0)
return (((x%m*(x/2)%m)%m)(x+1)%m)%m;
else
return ((x%m
x%m)%m*((x+1)/2)%m)%m;
}

Just use parentheses, Luke. (And use them correctly. You added them everywhere except where you needed them.)

x/2 is not up to 1e7. x/2 is up to 5e18. (x/2)%M is up to 1e7. Itā€™s b*(x/2)=c, not b*((x/2)%M)=c (note the parentheses).

((((x%m)((x/2)%m))%m)((x+1)%m))%m is the right way. Or just store x,x/2,x+1 in separate variables first, mod these variables and then multiply them while modding again, if you want a cleaner code.

@kuruma,@xellos0 :We can also use modular multiplication for finding (a*b)%m in O(log(n))(it can be optimised further to calculate in constant time).

You can check my solution for further details :-

http://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/6119518

@knb_dtu Occamā€™s razor: donā€™t use more than necessary. Anything more than ((a%m)*(b%m))%m is unnecessary. (How much time would you waste during a contest by overcomplicating things like this?)

@xellos0, Finally got ACā€¦ Such a stupid thing!! Thanks a ton!!

1 Like