Unofficial Editorials January Cook Off

Same here buddy. My entire time whooshed away in those if else. BTW, check out this solution, you might like it-

Hereā€™s the simulation of first 7 days for your TC. Set dif = 0, count = 0,

Day 1:
diff = diff+10-8 = 2, count = 1

Day 2:
diff = 2+10-8 = 4, count = 2

Day 3:
diff = 4+10-8 = 6, count = 3

Day 4: diff = 6+10-8 = 8, count = 4

Day 5: diff = 8-8 = 0, count = 4 Your mistake, as you didnā€™t buy this day and later on concluded insufficiency of sweets.

Day 5: diff= 8+10-8 = 10, count = 5

Day 6: diff = 10+10-8 = 12, count = 6

Day 7: diff = 12-8 = 4, count = 6.

Hope this makes clear.

And to all who read this comment, if stuck in a simulation, use print statements to do all this. :wink:

2 Likes

Very much liked it @vijjju123 !! Just loving itā€¦

A 200-line solution shoved under the nose of an innocent boy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though your solution is nice one, it have a worse Time complexity of O(Slog(7*S)) while above mentioned solution has time complexity of O(S).

You can improve your check function to work in O(1) by a simple change, and even shorter code.

2 Likes

I think binary search is an overkill here. But well, Binary search is <3 .

1 Like

thanks alot @taran_1407

1 Like

Initially I waited for few mins before coding and then I saw multiple WAs,so I thought O(S) might be missing some corner cases. I was sure about BS solution,so implemented it :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, I was hunting for cakewalk problem in first few min my order was-

>Opened p4. ".....He asked to find the matrix? DEFINITELY NOT CAKEWALK"
>p5  has "graph" in it. Lol graph no cakewalk.
>Great array...hmmm. Might be. (2 min after reading the statement and thinking "Noo....please this be p4.....XD
>Multhree "YEAH This can be cakewalk!!" (Submitted a soln- got WA- "Hmm...Not cakewalk I guess lol")
>And finally chocoland lol.
1 Like
#DP_Intensifies

Happened with me too.

DP is in the airā€¦

Nice solution @vivek_1998299

I think it was an overkill here btw thanks.

your solution fails too @vijju123 :smiley:

1 Like

Lmao yeah XD. If anything, my solutions always find something in the cook off :3 . The most hilarious was, when my brute force got accepted in p3 XD (I think @kingofnumber was the setter of that one)

Its not hard to miss :confused: Invitation for January Cook Off, 2018 - general - CodeChef Discuss

Invitation threads, by default, are feedback threads as well. :slight_smile:

more than 75% solutions of SURVIVIE would have failed if only the corner cases were designed properly.

Yup, I did expected a corner case somewhere on lines of not buying on sunday giving -1. But I think those cases also have N<K or some other condition which made them weaker- and hence lack of an individual case with this feature alone.

BTW, do discuss that in feedback thread, the setter will value your insight surely.

Didnā€™t get that.

1 Like

It fails on the corner case of ā€œ9 8 10ā€ where it should print -1. Lucky that cases were weak :stuck_out_tongue:

@vivek_1998299 could you explain that in a bit simpler way ā€¦for noobs like me .