[UPDATE]Chrome web store now has Coding shout

The latest update adds Codeforces support

Please mention your OS, judge name(codechef, codeforces or atcoder), Chrome version. Do note that if you have text to speech on, it will just say the result and not give a notification(because you already heard it). To change the alert type to notifications, you can click the icon and save the preferences.
PS: if you are on Linux, there might not be a TTS engine and you might have to install one.

Details of my system:
Judge name: Codechef
Chrome Version: Version 70.0.3538.67 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I have the notification setting(Alert Setting) on.

Do you receive notifications from other websites and extensions in Chrome? Because, it sounds like there is something wrong with your Chrome/Elementary installation. I can say that because my brother also has the same OS, browser and it works fine for him.

Thanks for the reminder! It’s available on Chrome Web Store now.

No, I don’t receive any other notifications. Any idea how I can fix that?

Maybe try and run

notify-send TEST

in terminal. If nothing happens, then that means notifications don’t work at system level. Otherwise, try reinstalling Chrome. Honestly, I don’t have much idea either.

Thanks :slight_smile: It’s a nice extension :slight_smile: Good work :smiley:

Have some secrets bro, codechef developers might be reading this… :stuck_out_tongue:

@candyshot If it’s on the internet, it isn’t a secret anymore.
Anyone with a bit of development experience can figure it out in seconds :slight_smile:

Coding Shout is not working for Codechef lately. Maybe, it’s due to the API issues.
@rishiraj22 Can you fix it? It used to help me a lot.

4 Likes

Looks like the REST API is down and they are using a fallback HTML page https://www.codechef.com/error_status_table/27323707/ Can’t really parse this table correctly as different questions have different number of sub problems and constraints. So, just wait for the main REST API to be up again. :frowning:

2 Likes

Wooo…I just saw this extension @rishiraj22 sir

Yeah, it would be like the DDoS attack that happened on CodeForces. And CodeChef platform is messed up already, you wouldn’t want to do that.

You have to change in the settings

Well if you’d like to mess up an already messed up website, nobody’s stoppin’ you! :joy:

I sent this email to Codechef team. Hope they understand otherwise not much can be done, and it might be the end of Codechef support for this extension (If they don’t make it public, I may have to come up with a hacky solution to get data from the table. They can never stop me :wink: )

Hi,
I have a web browser extension Coding shout that notifies users as soon as their submission’s results are calculated. It utilises the REST API of Codechef. Is there any way you can put up the API again? Even if I get the keys for the API, I can’t just provide it publicly in my extension, as people might misuse my keys. Another option is that I will have to put up a server that proxies the requests on the user’s behalf, and I am not ready to invest in servers for this extension. Moreover, it will double the latency and render the extension worthless. So, in the spirit of keeping things simple and open, I believe it would be best if you make that particular endpoint public.

4 Likes

Sadly, the people at Codechef aren’t ready to make the endpoint public. I have said them that I will increase the polling duration to that used in Codechef’s website, or even help them in integrating notification support into Codechef itself, if they allow me. Let’s see if they agree. Otherwise, it will be kinda like an “arms race” condition, where I will always find a way to make the extension work (through scraping and what not). Hope they understand @admin

3 Likes