A bug in Codechef New Year Gift!

i run a python code without edits, it was working fine.

But when i edit a cpp code

xy|z

It was like on pressing backspace result was

x|y

i.e. Cursor moved to left direction but delete a character to right!! :frowning:

But i hope team will resolve it… :slight_smile:

haha… lucky you @damn_me

never mind i would like to appreciate for this initiative, and i know bugs are a part of development process, at least what i learnt from problem Sanskar… :stuck_out_tongue:

and i hope team will resolve the bug soon… :slight_smile:

Exactly… That sanskar problem the most inspiring ones :D!!

Just checked, C++ and JAVA are working too.

I can edit code also, just the cursor has weird position.

1 Like

But don’t you think removing that can impose a heavy load on the server which may be unnecessary. However, obviously they already must be having a way out of this, but still we many times submit(run) codes after removing just one or two errors while compiler shows many. When languages work on compiler basis then, I think this restriction should be there. However, even I find that irritating :stuck_out_tongue:

lol… Problem of the Year!!

4 Likes

This feature, you are talking about, may again give rise to plagiarism!!

And even I think the possible reason can be it takes time for the editor to load, for a site like codechef which is used by so many people at the same time, many requests come at the same time and even can be handled. But its basically just a way, to keep things go work smoothly…

Yeah, exactly. And there are many other IDEs with the same feature due to which such cheating cases occur and someone who didn’t cheat also gets the label :stuck_out_tongue: So, it’s good if not there.

But one feature can be there, like solutions of problems in practise section can be seen in the editor when we click on “View” option. Fork option can be build which will somehow fork that code on ideone. But that’s something like two work together, codechef and ideone.

@damn_me

Yes I agree with you about the heavy load balancing and the number of errors, but still some times we make very small changes ( like mistyping n and t, or forget semicolon, mis-match braces) and have to wait which is irritating (for say during last few minutes of short contests).

Yeah, but codechef people need to think about the worst case complexity… upper bound you know :smiley: They must have considered this zlso and that’s why put 30 sec, not more than that.

agreed!! 30 second restriction time should be removed first… hate waiting for such a long time… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That is true, but it is irritating, especially if we are closing to a dead line.

Otherwise 30 second is agreeable, they have this restriction for problem submission also.

1 Like

Why not make it 2 options? Run and Submit just like in Hackerrank?
Run will just like debug it and submit is the actual submission to the problem?

The hint is in “happy new year”, means happy “2015”.

Try now. :smiley:

1 Like

Well its pretty bugged up right now… but hats off to the web site for taking the initiative. Does any one know how to reach the admin and contribute towards this? :slight_smile:

I think 30 second restriction is necessary to prevent DOS attack. Someone might write an easy script that continuously keeps submitting solutions of a single account. :slight_smile:

ohhhhhhhhhhh

now i see this…

Amazing such a quick response/fixes - right man in a right place !

5 Likes