A suggestion for Long Challenge

This is such a good idea, it might increase the submissions in hard problems but many coders who are new to that particular algorithm will learn a lot from this.

1 Like

Giving prerequisites is a perfect idea. One should understand that it is different from giving away the hints.
In addition, I strongly believe that CodeChef long should have team participation as well.

1 Like

@the_pythor @c2h5sh
Can any one tell me
Even if moss catches the culprits about(approximately) how much percentage similarity in codes will codechef considers as acceptable ???

Meanwhile codechef from distance- “Give as many suggestions, you can give guys. I am not gonna implement anything” XD

3 Likes

U know i have something in mind too …every one knows how ranks shoot up during last hrs of long challenges(due to cheating of course) …but if we do a time penalty like we have on codeforces even if someone cheats at the last moment it would be not of much use and because it takes time to search solution the score due to cheating would be minimal.

1 Like

I saw this post from you 3rd time. Don’t you think instead of spamming, you should wait for some time.

did you copied my comment (just a joke) :wink:

1 Like

@hello_hell
I’m sorry for spamming.

This is the problem with others. When anyone proposes any idea ( good or bad), let us discuss with their opinions. Simply yelling Bad Idea doesn’t make any sense.

No, It won’t be helpful. These are the reasons:
1.If prequisite will be already available , one will not think out of those topics. If topics are totally unknown, one puts all of his effort to solve the question, It makes one’s thinking wider.
2. If prequisite will be known, the main motive behind cp will be lost, i.e. a programmer should be able to identify the needful for solving a problem itself, when the problem didn’t get solved by your known data-structures and algorithm, you actually know the value of other algorithms and data structures, else you will need to mug up with those.
3.Suppose you tried hard, but even though you are not able to solve the problem, actually you see your failure only behind that, but don’t forget, you have learned a lot of new things.
If you have tried hard to solve a problem , but it didn’t get solved , it makes you more curious to see the editorials.

2 Likes

Nice idea,makes a lot of sense.

Nah, maybe coincidence

1 Like

Yehh , I was thinking the same same . If they at least mention a tag like dp, binary search, Ad Hoc, greedy .it would be a lot better

@admin
Brother I’m partially agreed with you but its better to provide prerequisite at some rating level or 1 to 3 star coder only (Beginners). And above 3 star not to provide prerequisite . It will help beginners(like me) to learn not to struggle .Some people will if this happen they(Beginners) will bound at some topics .but you know there are 3 contest in a month which cover 7 to 10 topics , so in a month they learn approx 5-6 topics in a month .look at this productivity.

1 Like

Well you can always learn them after the contest. There’s no one stopping you to learn them after contest ends.

1 Like

brother long challenge is of 10 days for beginners it will be waste for them as there on bounds of topics in CP .They will not do stone-paper-scissors or some other stuff like that to select topic which correspond to questions.
So once a beginner always beginner.

i do not agree ,it will make the problems much easier to tackle if we know the topics beforehand.Rather we should wait till the contest gets over .Knowing them then gives us more happiness and satisfaction.

They will not do stone-paper-scissors or some other stuff like that to select topic which correspond to questions.

Well as I already said you can learn them after the contest.

So once a beginner always beginner.

With that logic, everyone is fool practicing problems.

1 Like

Great points. Maybe there can be some penalty for unlocking hints. Most of the coders won’t unlock until they are fully exhausted(7-8 days?).

1 Like

@marksman What if I unlock them with a fake account??

1 Like