A suggestion to prevent cheating

Let’s see, many suggestions are not viable for implementation. But I think this one should anyways be implemented, it would even prevent multiple accounts from the same user.

The same proposal was given to codeforces to reduce making of fake accounts there. Actually we can’t implement it, as first, this is a global platform and people from other countries too use this platform. They may not be quite comfortable to give mobile number.
2nd is, this will significantly reduce user base and no company will want this.

1 Like

Phone number is hidden on Telegram

2 Likes
  1. Telegram Doesn’t require Mobile Number
  2. It takes 5 min to get an alternative mobile number (very useful in cases of registration in spam websites).
  3. More incentive to hack CodeChef for hackers. (Data is the new Oil)

Well I agree it can reduce the problem. But point number 3 is a big turn down. No doubts on CodeChef Security but still there is always a risk.

3 Likes

These reasons sound valid. But I personally feel that they should not care about the user base, people who genuinely want to participate will verify their number and continue. But the global platform thing can be an issue.

Eventually people will come up with other ways to cheat , what I think is long challenge should be broken into 2-3 few hours challenges

1 Like

Thanks for the above points, seems like the implementation is pretty difficult and maybe not that useful😂

Didn’t know that. Fine.

If its broken down into 2-3 few hour challenges, hostel gangs can sit together and solve and laugh at idiots like me who do solo competitive coding even after having a job (for fun).

Also if I get a call in the middle of the contest (happens way too frequently) - its over.

1 Like

So many hostel kids want to KILL off long contests - makes me feel really worried.

1 Like

Well its a profit making company afterall(now under Unacademy), they need to care after userbase

1 Like

I don’t think this can prevent cause people can register their parents number and then join telegram groups from their number. so How can we make sure that they can’t join those groups anyway!

1 Like

I once thought of make an authentication through aadhar, to avoid forming multiple accounts on the same person, but I don’t think it would work out…

1 Like

Gennady ka aadhar card tum banwake dena bhai
:joy:

2 Likes

Again, suggest whatever you want, codechef will do nothing.

1 Like

+1e1000

I recently read an article Gamers Are Better Than Scientists at Catching Fraud - The Atlantic where it describes how probability analysis was used to detect cheating in claims for record-breaking performance by gamers. I suggest it would be possible to take a similar approach to detect cheating in CodeChef contests. As there are some clever programmers out there, much cleverer than me, I am sure many would find it an interesting challenge to develop algorithms and code to detect cheating. As the information on contents, frequency and times of submissions are all available, the material is readily available for such analysis.

1 Like

Wow! thats totally cool !!

Good idea. Also, during the contests, some moderators can check Telegram, Discord and Youtube. If there is any cheating going on. The admin must be sent legal notice.

1 Like

This was suggested a year ago. Doubt this will be implemented.

1 Like