The Stack Exchange Network is one the most successful forum models on the internet. It would be very sensible if codechef started to follow their rules and guidelines. Codechef is already using the “karma” system which is very similar to reputation on stack exchange. Some of the noteworthy changes to codechef discuss would be:
- Separation of answers and comments. According to me this is very important and helps a viewer to focus on the answer instead of many one-liner comments. A typical question on discuss looks like a Whatsapp chat.
- Using their flag menu. It has many more options to let moderators know the exact problem.
- Adopting the Code of Conduct
- Closing duplicate tags. There is a dp tag and also a dynamic programming tag. This creates confusion on which tag to select for your question. Also the privilege of making new tags should be given to only the reputed members.
- The ability to accept answers. This gives a sense of finality to the question.
- The ability to downvote a answer. The only two options on the discuss forum right now are:a) to like the post or b) to flag it. This is just too polarising. A better option would be to also provide a downvote or a "dislike.
I know it would be a very difficult thing for the amazing codechef team to implement all of these feature but some of these features are a must have(like the 1st, 2nd, 6th and 7th) one. But this is my two cents worth of advice for the Codechef Discuss Forum which is, in all honesty, doing a fantastic job but there is always room for improvement.