I strongly condemn cheating myself, but I find it extremely distasteful to discuss the matter in an open forum. Especially the exact kind of “finger pointing” that seems rampant in the discuss forums.
Even Topcoder follows the policy - probably not official - of not “finger pointing” on the forums.
The simple reason is… there is never anything to discuss.
- Yes, someone made a mistake of cheating.
- Yes, you caught them red handed.
- Why the humiliation in the forum?
- It never makes anybody feel better about themselves.
- If all you’re looking for is social confirmation that you did indeed catch someone cheating, why not leave that judgement up to the admins?
The CodeChef admins are quite comfortable with using MOSS (which is very accurate in detecting plagiarism). They are also very strict about cheating and do ban accounts and stuff when such incidences are reported over firstname.lastname@example.org.
I think CodeCheffers should also restrain from posting such in the discuss forums.