Author: Prasant Kumar
Tester: Harris Leung
Editorialist: Nishank Suresh

DIFFICULTY:

TBD

PREREQUISITES:

Basic combinatorics, familiarity with binary representations

PROBLEM:

Find the sum of A_1 \land A_2 \land A_3 \ldots \land A_N across all arrays A of length N such that each A_i is an integer between 1 and M.

EXPLANATION:

Note that bitwise AND is independent on bits, that is, we can do the following:

• For each 0 \leq i \leq 30, find the number of arrays such that the i-th bit is set in all the elements of A, i.e, the bitwise AND of A has the i-th bit set. Let this number be ct_i.
  • Then, add ct_i \cdot 2^i to the answer.

The second step is easy, so all we really need to do is find ct_i.

Our problem thus reduces to this:

• Given i, how many length N arrays of integers from 1 to N have the i-th bit set in all elements?

For this reduced problem, note that it doesn’t matter which integer is placed where: just that each position must contain an integer with the i-th bit set.

So, if we knew k_i, the number of integers from 1 to M with the i-th bit set, then ct_i = k_i^N, since each of the N positions has exactly k_i choices for what is placed there, and these choices are independent.

All that remains is to compute k_i given M and i. Some observation should tell you that this boils down to a simple formula.
Every 2^{i+1} consecutive integers have exactly 2^i integers with the i-th bit set. So, k_i can be computed by considering blocks of length 2^{i+1} from 0, and looking at the last \lt 2^{i+1} elements separately. This yields the formula

k_i = \left (\left\lfloor \frac{M}{2^{i+1}} \right\rfloor \times 2^i)\right ) + \max(0, (M \%2^{i+1}) - 2^i + 1)

where \% is the modulo operator.

This gives us the final solution:

• For each i from 0 to 30, compute k_i using the formula above.
  • Then, compute ct_i = k_i ^ N.
  • Finally, add ct_i \cdot 2^i to the answer

TIME COMPLEXITY

\mathcal{O}(30N) or \mathcal{O}(30\log N) per test case, depending on whether binary exponentiation is used or not.

CODE:

Editorialist's code (Python)
mod = 998244353
for _ in range(int(input())):
    n, m = map(int, input().split())
    ans = 0

for bit in range(30):
        ct = (m // (2 << bit)) * (1 << bit)
        ct += max(0, (m % (2 << bit)) - (1 << bit) + 1)
        ans += pow(ct, n, mod) << bit
    print(ans % mod)
4 Likes

An interesting variation of this problem can be replacing bitwise AND with XOR operator. I have mistaken AND for XOR and tried solving it initially. Not sure if my approach was right for the XOR variation, but it required me to compute sum to N terms in a geometric progression in order to solve it.