Best IDE for Competitive Programming?

I use the same setup. I have saved several code snippets which come in very handy during contests.

CLion is Best

4 Likes

I use Codeblocks for c++

I would say, Visual studio code on Linux.
By using some simple shell script, I managed to load my template every time during creating a new file.
Also,taking input from file is very easy in command line
$ ./a.out < input.txt

Why so? Is it faster or something or just that you are accustomed to it?
I use Sublime Text with the I/O plugin, works right but feels sort of slow :frowning:

For Java, I use Sublime Text 3.
Sometimes I prefer Notepad + CMD, Eclipse IDE too.

2 Likes

This is a simple and clean setup which may work for almost everybody. I personally never felt a need to set up too complex/visually appealing environments for CP because it doesnā€™t make any difference most of the time (specially when you are at beginner or even intermediate levels).

I use normal text editor (gedit) along with terminal. To paste the scripts, I use gedit snippets.

Super fancy setup is not that much important. However, how you use keyboard shortcuts is really important and can make a whole lot of difference.

1 Like

u can even make alias for ./a.out < input.txt as aout or something else

Yeah, thatā€™s the beauty of CLI

Iā€™m kind of a newbie to competitive programming. Could you please explain what function do these code snippets perform?

I use the Chrome extension which on clicking directly creates a new file in VS Codeā€¦ You need to download the extension competitive programming helper in VS codeā€¦The sample test cases are also downloaded automatically`. This blog has detailed explanation

3 Likes

Anything with

#define

is called a Macro.

Macros speed up your code writing, just a little. Itā€™s noticeably useful for speed solving the easier problems.

The code snippet

freopen("input.txt","r",stdin);
freopen("output.txt","w",stdout);

is used to accept input and write output to a file, as you can see on the right hand side.

3 Likes

I am also very curious to know about the combination of terminal and text file :grin:

2 Likes

code snippets help us to add certain set codes by just a small code or word.
For ex -: if i set for(llu i = 0; i < n; ++i){} as fr,then whenever I will press fr and tab then this statement gets copied in my code.

we can also set multiple line snippet .
like the starting template with all our required pre processors

Here a link to code snippets you can use in your cp-environment github

Can anyone told me which is the best online IDE for python 3?

I use Intellij for java and CLion for c++.
See. Iā€™m a jetbrains fanboy.

2 Likes

I use VS Code.Thatā€™s it.

Yeah , I also use Codeblocks.

Function name is :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes