clarification of question LEBALON

for a given color if there are two possibilities…do we have to consider both or the least one.

2 1

1 10

1 40

is the answer ((10)+(40)+(40+10))/3=100/3=33.3333333
or is the answer 10 just beacause it is the least one.

3 Likes

People downvote and are not courageous enough to clarify.

1 Like

How is this test case different to the one (second one) in problem statement?

@betilsta: I guess he is trying to state if colors of two balloons are same, and their cost is different, how should he proceed?? See he has taken ‘1’ for both balloons, means color is same.
I tried added comment below the problem that meaning of “expected cost” was not clear. But it never got published. Ambiguities like this means luck plays a big factor. If you guessed correctly what problem setter was thinking, you’ll solve it. Else your coding talent goes to waste.

2 Likes

people downvote…because u r not allowed to post such type of ques on the forum…specially during a live contest…send a mail asking for clarification or maybe comment on the problem page…:stuck_out_tongue:

pls forgive me if i am breaking any rules, but can you explain “expected cost” clearly? I find that the question is quite relevant in that sense.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed that, that’s very good question - I think Ci <> Cj for i <> j…

1 Like

Could you please confirm this info officially by consulting the problem setters/testers? Thanks in advance!

I’m waiting for the answer (via e-mail or comment on problem statement page), I’ll let you know as soon as I receive the answer :wink:

3 Likes

and the answer is:

We consulted your query with our problem setters and according to them there is nothing said about it in the problem statement about C_i = C_j, so you can not assume anything about it. Apart from this we can not help you during the contest.

Fair enough…

Sir, for the first test case i.e
2 2
1 4
2 7
the expected cost may be 9.000000000 instead of 11.000000000 because,
((7)+(7+4))/2=9.00000000

no, cannot use only 7, when M is 2…

Then in the second case, why only (1 4) is also selected { ((4)+(7)+(4+7))/3 }

in second case M = 1, that’s the difference

Ok got it, thanks ! I am thinking as ‘sum of colors in a sub set should be at least M’ but the question is ‘number of different colors in a subset is at least M’ right ?

It is just a clarification and i did not send any mail to anyone.