Contest format changes in NOV Long contest

Please note:

• All the problems will be partially graded and you will get score for passing certain test data (except tie-breaker problem). You will receive hundred (100) point for solving a problem (passing all test cases).
  • The details of the failed test cases will also be visible on your solution page (except challenge problem)

from contest page

I’m wondering how this will end, let us see in 10 days…

I have no problem with partial scores, but be able to see input data during the contest, at least questionable…

edit:

I misunderstood the second point, input data are not know during the contest as far as I can see

judgement example for Nov14 Long contest

(there are no clickable links, also not in My Submissions)

4 Likes

Its too early to judge but i don’t like this partial marking scheme at all, i think this is not required in a 10 day long contest.

33 Likes

Yes. I too don’t think that this change is needed at all for the long contest.
It is in the best form as it was before. We’ve to see how it turns out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The partial point system is not suited for long contest at all. Lots of bugs in the current version too.

1 Like

I feel like we need one more state - partially solved instead of solved to see where I got 100 points already and where not…

Good time to update my browser plugins.

6 Likes

I think there is an immediate need of an OPTION TO SORT PROBLEMS AS PER THE NUMBER OF 100 POINTERS/COMPLETE SCORES.

8 Likes

I think partial marking is a good idea.It really encourages participants to really try out all problems and score partially if not fully.moreover, it helps a novice coder like me to understand complexities concept.

3 Likes

I think partial marking system is good.It encourages new programmers to try more questions.

As you said, its too early to judge. I think partial point scheme would encourage more users to atleast read and code more problems. But, failed test cases SHOULD NOT be made visible. It would stop people from finding their own mistakes and would encourage petty hacks.

6 Likes

@betlista: It looks like the wording was not that good due to which you misinterpreted, it will be changed in a while. Actual test cases wont be shown Just the outcome of the cases will be shown

1 Like

I was afraid for a while, but then I found out, not a big problem :wink: Thanks for your answer anyway :wink:

The successful submissions show a score of 0.000 for everyone. Is that intended behaviour?

1 Like

@ash1294, it is a bug. It has been already asked to correct. Thank you for telling.

2 Likes

^well i think allowing some crappy brute force for 20 points for hardest problem just decrease its value relative to challenge problem.
And if someone put some outstanding effort to solve 8th problem (in terms of difficulty) then he can easily get lower rank than the one who put 20 point easy effort in 8th + 20 point easy effort in 9th + 61 point not so tough (most of the times) effort in challenge. Long contest is already unique and gaining lots of popularity, so i feel this change is not at all required.

16 Likes

Totally Agreed. Now I am not even able to distinguish which problem is hard and which is easy because of the number of brute force submissions :confused:

7 Likes

During the long contest there is a lot of time to fix the bugs, while in other contests there is a small amount of time :smiley:

Getting a 20 point in the 10th question by some formula/greedy approach is just like killing the entire aspect of the long contest. This format was unique in itself. Now its just plain rubbish :\

8 Likes

I dont think this is a valid reason. If you want to practice partial grading, do lunch time problems. How do you benefit by doing partials in a 10 day contest. there is no learning, no motivation.

I created the statistics later, hopefully we can have this online next contest…