Copied problem in COOK89

I mailed about the problem during the contest, but mentioned link of only geeksforgeeks article.

Hopefully this contest is unrated.

PS: Very cute and innocent guy forgot moderator word. And please!!, only a few people must be seeing my submissions (I’m grateful)

I too tried the java version of given solution and got WA, but thought that only java version gives WA. I guess i should remove that link from post.

Thanks for finding out submissions.

I hope admin takes an action regarding this.

I too hope future contest don’t have such problems.

Agreed @rohit_0801

Yes, @admin please take an immediate action against this.

for(i=1;i<n;i++)
{b+=v[i];if(b>=d)
{ b=0;
for(j=i;j>=e;j–)
{
b+=v[j];
if(b>=d)
{
e=j;break;
}
}
for worst case this goes O(n^2) but got AC

@lebron chutiya hai?

First thing, @coderbaba I didn’t like ur reply at all.

Second, i don’t care about rating. (Coindidently i didn’t even participated in this one, but that not the only reason).

Third, i agree with you @lebron on the point, that some problems need to be filler. Agreed. But what happens that when that particular filler problem is the problem that usually decide ranklist for middle level.

Fourth, i believe there’s no harm in using past problem, as long as the setter ensure (reasonably) that there’s no public solution for this problem. I found these link within 2 min on google.

3 Likes

Fifth, i too liked this problem set (though didn’t participate due to unavoidable circumstances) and appreciate problem setting team for this round, but i could never appreciate the idea of publically solution available problem. Even if the problem statement was like, requiring u to make an interesting(even if small) insight that reduces this problem to a standard one, i will appreciate it, but not a googlable problem.

Sixth, I’m actually glad that u shared your view point @lebron

Thank you for the reply @kingofnumbers . The decision taken is, indeed, quite fair in my opinion… :slight_smile:

Why should an action be taken against them? If the solution was available already, then its not their fault to be greedy and copy. Its against the spirit, yes, but its not the domain where we should dive and penalise them. Get back to me on mail if theres any more clarification needed.

2 Likes

This is what I hate about the community since past few months. I dont see any constructive criticism in your post, and it seems like crying to me. Please have enough manners/sense/decency to formalize your complaints (and their structure/tone).

5 Likes

Just what percentage of users are affected by it? How many O({N}^{2}) solutions passed? You can give this feedback to the tester, that he did not do a good job in testing the problem- thats perfectly fine.

But asking for cancellation of contest/make it unrated because 10-15 solutions passed is not logical, and let me assure you, the rating change wont be more than 5 by those. Its not worth the trouble, and the contest was more than 95% fair. Not good to make it unrated due to bad 5%

1 Like

@lebron I agree with your criticism of the third-party code rule if the rule is to be taken at face value. However, I think the purpose of the rule is to determine the source of the code. In this case, since the source is already known, those who used the code should not be punished in my opinion.

If you have so many problems, why are you here. Honestly, you have 2 options- improve yourself, or cry in a corner forever. Sorry, but you arent going to get success with this attitude.

1 Like

Agree with @vijju123. This is not “cheating”.

1 Like

I agree with most of your points @lebron. Just clarifying one point-

The reason why codechef asks for a third party link is because, when multiple people copy from same source, then plagiarism detector flags those solutions. During manual re-checking, it makes things convenient if they include the link. Plus, they get another site to keep an eye on, to make sure no future problem is matching with some already known one.

The contest will be made unrated only if its unfair to majority of people, which I dont think is the case here.

Yep, I understand that motivation behind the rule is probably like that. It just doesn’t make the rule less weird to me. I don’t have any good solution for it. I know that there is nothing like that at Codeforces, and I think we don’t see feed filled with “I got banned unfair”/“cheaters aren’t getting banned” there, but I don’t know if it is really an issue for CF or not, and in case it isn’t - how did they managed to make it or why it works well for them.

That’s the thing on my mind when i make such a post - negative criticism. @vijju123 i already braced myself to ignore such comments on my post.

And @coderbaba, i don’t see u being affected with the rating change. Also, about your MOTTO, can u find any proof? if u can, write an email to codechef admins. And then, you call @lebron a ch***ya, a guy with much more expreience both at coding as well as problem setting than you and me too.

I didn’t reply earlier because i was intentionally ignoring your answer.

PS: Pardon for rough tone but i mean it.