Author: raysh07
Tester: apoorv_me
Editorialist: iceknight1093

DIFFICULTY:

TBD

PREREQUISITES:

None

PROBLEM:

Given an array A, find the length of its longest subarray whose sum is even.

EXPLANATION:

The constraints are small enough that you can simply bruteforce all subarrays and check in \mathcal{O}(N^2) (or even \mathcal{O}(N^3)).

However, it is also possible to solve the problem in linear time with a bit of thought.
Notice that the only thing that determines whether a subarray’s sum is even or odd, is the number of odd integers it contains.
If it has an odd number of odd integers, the sum is odd; if it has an even number of odd integers, the sum is even.

So, if A itself contains an even number of odd integers, the entire array A has even sum, and the answer is N.
Otherwise, we have to exclude at least one odd number.

It’s easy to see that since we want to maximize length, it’s best to exclude either the first odd number or the last one.
So, find the positions of the first and last odd number - say indices x and y.
The answer is then the maximum of N-x and y-1 (either exclude x and everything before it, or exclude y and everything after it).

TIME COMPLEXITY:

\mathcal{O}(N) per testcase.

CODE:

Editorialist's code (Python)
for _ in range(int(input())):
    n = int(input())
    a = list(map(int, input().split()))
    for i in range(n):
        a[i] %= 2

if sum(a)%2 == 0:
        print(n)
        continue
    remove = n
    for i in range(n):
        if a[i] == 1:
            remove = min(remove, i+1)
            break
    for i in reversed(range(n)):
        if a[i] == 1:
            remove = min(remove, n-i)
            break
    print(n - remove)

The question was so easy and general that everyone ended up writing the same code. Additionally, there were very few test cases, so the only way to solve the problem at first was brute force, which led to many cases of plagiarism. I don’t understand how CodeChef hasn’t addressed this issue and just sending email of we are degrading your rating.
Disappointed :expressionless:

Hi codechef,
I received a mail regarding plagiarism in EvenSumSubArray please check my code clearly and I didn’t shared my code to nobody but I got plagiarism please kindly check on it and please retain my points.

Dear CodeChef Support Team,

Today, I had my rating deducted by 275 points. This was not due to any cheating on my part but because someone else arrived at the same logic for solving a problem, given the nature and difficulty level of the question.

Reaching my previous rating took almost 30 contests and countless hours of effort. This sudden loss feels incredibly unfair and disheartening, especially as I have not received any response to my previous emails.

I know I can improve my rating in 4-5 contests as I am now more skilled, but these 4-5 contests also matter a lot to me.