How to lift my CP skills to next level?

I am not a newbie in programming but i always find difficult in lifting my CP skills to next level . Eventhough i am trying to gain good grasp at Advanced DSA , i am unable to implement them properly and i always feel demotivated . Can anyone please suggest me some tips to lift the CP skills to next phase ?

13 Likes

Same question… @l_returns please help us noobies <3

1 Like

You should teach us @anon55659401
You help 100’s of people every day.
We are just noobies :slight_smile:
Understand the algorithm and then write it on a paper and then try to write the code.
If you still can’t then read a sample code and then try it.
How can you not implement something you have understood throughly.

4 Likes

A few suggestions:

1. Upsolve (Upsolve atleast last unsolved question of any contest you participate in)
  2. Read code of others
  3. Always read editorials
  4. Follow your target ladder at A2OJ
17 Likes

Thankyou so much :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha…coincidence

:thinking:​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

5 Likes

Okay so i was 6* for a while on CC, and still am only like 3 points below 6* xD. plus yellow on CF. and i never upsolved(until recently, i am upsolving like mad, and so have become 5*. sad), never followed a ladder on a2oj, never read other’s code. XD. iguess just do contests, as personally i dont get the motivation to code as such. for some reason or the other.

PS: tbh follow those things, except maybe reading other’s code unless there is no editorial available or there is some edgecase.

4 Likes

@rajarshi_basu I guess reading other’s code introduce us to new tricks and libraries, as in my case I got to know about many STLs and buffered input-output while reading other’s code and also it helps us to present the code in cleaner and more understandable way which help us to debug our code quickly.

PS: It is like my dream to be yellow on CF (currently blue). If it is possible for you, can you please suggest us some way to reach there, it will be really helpful.

1 Like

Uplsolving could have pushed you more.
You might have became 6 star in less time(maybe in 1.5 years instead of 2.5).
Also checking others code will help as viv_ntp said.

1 Like

Yes well, you do learn some cool tricks. admitted. Altho i feel i write cleaner code than most ppl, maybe because I have some non-cp experience too.

For cf yellow, its a mystery to me. I guess just solving a lot of problems is good for CF, because its not like you have to do any of the hard problems to reach yellow. just some treedp, normal dp, and logical.

2 Likes

i think the 2.5 years is because after the 1st year, i did about 2-3 contests in the next 1.5 years :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, i dont think upsolving mattered, because i still used to solve random problems from CC/CF, just didnt upsolve.

2 Likes