How to practice for competitive programming?

Just practice. Solve problems, solve problems and solve some more problems. By doing it, you will also learn new algorithms and techniques.

Intro
The writing that follows is intended for competitive programmers, but preparing for coding interviews is fairly comparable. The improvement of algorithms and data structures should be your aim.

Work on problems that are a little bit challenging for you but that you can typically solve. Read an editorial and make sure you comprehend it if you are stuck for longer than 20 to 30 minutes (or an hour in the case of severe problems). Use a solution, and if you run into trouble, study other people’s code to learn how they handled it. Take note of the bolded phrase “stuck.” You are not trapped if you have any more ideas. Only if you haven’t made any progress for a while may you give up.

Upsolve any puzzles you couldn’t crack in a competition. Just one or two more, not all of them. Try not to try to tackle anything that is exceedingly difficult. You’ll eventually have enough knowledge to solve those challenging issues.

How should I practice this topic?

Look up some instructions on Google and read them. Solve issues related to that. Revert back to tackling irrational puzzles after a while. You ought to be able to identify comparable issues today and use the fresh method or technique you discovered.

You need clearly solve several old team contests with a team in order to improve in ICPC.
To fully comprehend minor algorithms/techniques, one only needs to work through a few examples. You must solve dozens of tasks for large topics (categories) like dynamic programming. You can cheat a little bit by knowing what to use in a problem, so don’t waste months on it. You are unaware of a problem’s tags or topics when you read it during a contest. Finding the right thing to utilize might be difficult at times. Since identifying patterns is a useful ability, you should solve problems at random as much as possible.

What else should I research?

Just continue to solve difficulties. You’ll come across an algorithm eventually if there is one you need to be familiar with. then look up some tutorials and problems that are similar.

Which platform ought I to employ?

Although the platform doesn’t really matter, using editorials to address issues is a smart idea (and public codes of other people). You’ll learn more quickly as a result.

I suggest the Codeforces teaching rounds and the Atcoder Beginner Contests for newcomers (ABC). You will run into a lot of common issues, which will force you to pick up useful skills. Another bonus is the simplicity of the statements. There are no English editorials for ABC, but you can read entries from people at the top or translate your own Japanese text using Google Translate.

How should I prepare for an event (IOI, ICPC, GCJ, etc.)?

Concentrate on resolving previous issues from this competition. But don’t stress yourself out too much. It still just comes down to being skilled with algorithms. It isn’t a waste of time to solve puzzles from other competitions.

Make sure you are familiar with everything on the curriculum in order to succeed in IOI.

Thank you so much for reading my blog :slight_smile:

It is a two step process, first we should learn about programming language fundamentals and then practice some simple programs in that language. Then you can start attempting some basic problems of competitive programming. Writing programs is the best way to learn programming.