Is it possible to prepare for gate and do competitive programming at same time?

Can anyone please help me ? I’m just to confused .

3 Likes

What do u mean by gate?

Gate is an exam for admission in iits for mtech degree.

Haha, thankyou,I’ve learned a new knowledge!

So you want to go to college and compete? I think, if there is some practical help for you to enter the university, such as some preferential policies, if not, why be so urgent?

in simpler terms, it’s an exam for pursuing higher studies of engineering in India.
Outside India, everyone calls it MS.

So it’s just the call of Engineering exams, not all entrance exams?

can you ans my question

@kk_ban Bro , its mostly impossible because GATE is something which is more towards theoritical and competive programming is more practical . Though Gate and CP involves same DSA , the theme for solving a problem is completely different. In GATE , we must concentrate on solving reccurence relations and some recursive outcome based problems . It is more about the CS concepts . On the other hand , CP is more about optimising code and learning new techniques like segment trees , tries etc which are not seen in GATE syllabus . Most of my friends who are taking GATE coaching this year are unable to do invest more time on CP and vice versa . However , i can assure you that GATE preperation will make you do much better in CP . :slight_smile:

8 Likes

GATE has more CS subjects related questions like from OS,COA etc.
Competitive Programming will help you in a few subjects of GATE like DS, DAA and general coding.

2 Likes

Thank you so much . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Here’s a nugget of a advice friend.I see you are confused about which track to follow so you want to follow everything. Take it step by step. Do not try to do everything at the same time and stop wasting time in thinking what you should do instead of actually doing it.

2 Likes

Anything is possible or nothing is possible. All depends on how you prepare for it.

4 Likes

If you love coding , the world of cp is for you no matter what is all the situation.

3 Likes

@horsbug98 :blush: Check this out!

I feel you @kk_ban! I am preparing for GATE as well while doing competitive programming too.
Well you can do both of them, CP will at least help you a bit with algorithms and Data structures in GATE, but you will have to manage both side by side.
Its not like you can’t do both at them same time, you’ll just need to put some extra efforts!
Best of luck!

3 Likes

I too am preparing for GATE and trying my best to keep CP in the loop, i just dedicate 1-2 hours every night before going to sleep, it’s not that easy daily as sometimes i have to cut some time from CP for completing my GATE targets but yeah something is better than nothing i guess.

“If you think you can do something, or you think you can’t do something. You are right.”

3 Likes

Honestly I would recommend to focus on only one
Why CP if your aim is GATE?
Most of the people here do Competitive Programming jst for fun
As pointed out by others CP and GATE hav almost nothing in common
Dont listen to people who says GATE has questions based on C lang too.
Yes it does but no one uses concept of command line args in CP and no one asks segment tree in GATE
CP will not help you at anything (unless you are preparing for interviews too)
So focus on GATE. Do CP only if you like it and prefer over netflix

PS:- not demotivating anyone. It is just that I focused on multiple entrance exams and messed up completely. It is true that he can do both but if he focuses only on one that he will definitely do better.

Dont be jack of all trades and master of none

4 Likes

Thank you so much . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

bro , it is possible to do both at same time and competitive programming will develop fighter attitude in you and you will start not giving up this game bro and data structure and algorithms are part of gate syllabus too and also it will need in cp also

2 Likes