Length of long challenge

It’s better if you use a decent language…

Do you make contests??..First of all, this question was not for you and second let the @admin decide what is appropriate…

2 Likes

NO

+1

XD He is the one who kept it to be of 10 days

1 Like

Yes…exactly and the request is to reduce it for further contests…

I will approve for ARMYOFME. I am not aware of the algorithm used in some faster AC submissions right now, but looking at the memory usage of the majority of submissions I can say it’s the same algorithm as mine. In which case the code is way too godamn long to be included in a short contest, and the constant optimizations to fit in the strict time limit will get it rejected straight away.

5 Likes

Maturity is when u realize that long challenge is just for fun and learning… If want to show off your cp skills or want more challenge, do short contest…

5 Likes

Or solve more problems and get a good rank instead of pulling down other beginners/people by reducing time of contest.

4 Likes

This is the reason why I only do short contests. I rarely do Long Challenges.

1 Like

Real fun of long challenge starts after 4th problem of Div.-1 . Thats what I live for <3

5 Likes

I agree that the difficulty of Long has degraded a bit these days, but we experimented with this in Feb-March and requested for harder problems. Then @alei showed us May-2019-Long-Challenge(Solving 3.5-problems give top ranks-in this long, imagine the difficulty level lol) . Since then, we better keep out mouth shut :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I like long challenges since I am just starting out with Comp Programming. If I want to experience pressure of time, I could do CF contests. IMO, there should be proper variety of all kinds of contests for all kinds of people.
As for plagiarism, it shouldn’t really bother you if you’re just here to learn like most people.

2 Likes

I couldn’t have ever imagined solving all scorable problems in my set if the long challenge weren’t of 10 whole days! :smiley:

3 Likes

A 10 day long challenge would be better if it contains datastructures and algorithmic problems but not the questions like pattern finding . Spending 10 days time on pattern based questions is nothing but wasting our 10 days life span. These problems haunts us every day and night untill it is solved even it is a pattern based question.That’s the reason why many people are getting vexed with long challenge. These days , the long challenge either contains mathematics based questions which are taken from olympiad contest papers or pattern based questions which almost costs a research to find the solution.

6 Likes

3 Likes

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was thinking then why are you wasting your time on Long if you are so good at algorithmic questions.
you better invest your time only on short contests on codeforces, codechef and atcoder.

also, LONG CHALLENGES are " DIFFERENT " from SHORT CHALLENGES.
they test your logical ability, reasoning and most importantly Patients.

if you feel they are no good then you are free to skip them, codechef have no binding of any kind (i guess).

4 Likes

Long Challenges were designed for programmers to learn new topics and get their scores.
10 days cover two weekends and lots of efforts to improve your scores.
The best part of long challenges is that, it does not take your time into consideration (unlike Hacker earth) .
Do you have any idea, how much time novice coders take to understand a particular question and code their solution (probably Brute force) ?

5 Likes

Another type of short contest cc can add to the present list of short contest[cookoff,lunchtime]
5hours OI styled contests on cc to help people prepare for IOI.

maybe not every month but like once in 2/3 months in which all problems are quality problems which strictly abide to the syllabus of IOI(no fft,string algo’s) and everyone can learn something out of them.

and also the problems should be medium-hard but less in number instead of many easy problems

Why not give it a try?
@admin @vijju123

10 days for long contest are good bcs I do job in company so I can give time only on weekends.

3 Likes

I think increasing the problem number would be the most appropriate step as it would cover a broader spectrum of users. Those who could solve nearly all problems in 2-3 days would get more problems to work on. Also, more problems provide more realistic rankings as you get more ways of differentiating between users.