May Long Challenge 2020

Thank you very much @iamvedant_vg .
I am sure you will figure it out asap.

Hope So.
Trying very very hard :slightly_smiling_face:
But this is kinda win win situation for me, either i will be able to solve this question completely or i will learn a very new concept when i see the solution after the contest ends.

2 Likes

Hello,

May long challenge is my first ever participation in any contest. I am able to solve only two full questions and close to the solution of third. Prior to this I only solved codeforces A and B level problems that hardly requires any algorithm to solve the problem.

I would like to ask from your experiences that should I first learn algorithms and data structures practice some related problems then participate in these contests or go on with contest and learn on the journey. (But on the journey I don’t know which algorithm to learn because I don’t know which one will help me in reaching a solution :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What i think is you should keep participating in these long challenges and also in luchtime and cookoff. You will be able to do at least a few questions and later on when the contest ends, you can refer to the editorial of the questions you were not able to solve. In this way you will keep on learning new algorithms and use of DS along with participation.
This is the way I do competitive programming and that has helped me a lot.

1 Like

I think , Codechef now should REVEAL their TEST CASES , For which Input Code is Failing , So that we can at least have idea where to change my logic.
Giving the Status as WA literally forces us in a DEADLOCK State where we are not able to understand if the LOGIC is completely different from what we have interpreted from the Limited Testcase given in contest.
I think this will definitely increase the logic building and save lot more time to FOCUS ON OTHER IMPORTANT PROBLEMS!!.

P.S : Codechef Please provide us the failed Testcases if not in contest BUT Do the same for at least PRACTICE Section..

32 Likes

I agree that they should provide test cases in practice section.
But for an ongoing contest, I think that would be silly.

7 Likes

Absolutely right i have experienced the same thing whenever i am solving problems on hackerearth as they reveal all the testcases it helps in building logic and thinking about the question in a different way.

1 Like

Finally…got AC after so many attempts…it was very tough debugging for edge cases…a very nice question.

1 Like

Thank you very much @akshitm16

3 Likes

If one cell is either on top, right, bottom or left of the other cell and there is no other cell between them, the two cells can be called side-adjacent.

Solved 3 and WA on the last 2 test cases of 4th Problem from the past 3 days. I’m waiting for the editorial now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe you should first learn about the way the platform works before jumping to conclusions.

Any user in the community can flag any comment or topic, and it is reviewed by the admin / mods. Your comment had been flagged multiple times, and in spite of it being obnoxiously dramatic and an utter formatting nightmare, the flags have been turned down by the admin / mods repeatedly.

#Solved_only_one_problem . :roll_eyes:
#Started_using_coding_on_codechef_yesterday🤗
#My_first_Time_in_long_challenge🙌
Any tips for me as newbie to look for?
:thinking::thinking:

1 Like

So you are the one with only 55 points right !! lolzz…

Nope back then that was 50 points right now it’s 100 points on Triple sort

Its been my third day struggling with triple sort still cant figure out what is worng with the last subtask lol…code chef i want to to suplle fail test case please :mask: :mask: :mask:

1 Like

same here

Yup same man the last two cases of SORTVS are sadist of some kind.

1 Like

Prev long challenge was div 4. Only Mike can understand this :joy::joy:

4 Likes

I got it after the minute of posting this hahah now having 510 rank in contest